How long do you think we're gonna be unemployed?

Frank Hegyi

I'm sure he doesn't need to work in some of the factories that are around. 

In the UK, it's possible for people to work if they apply the 2 metre rule, which sounds sensible. Although, lack of air circulation may limit some workplaces.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Factories and offices share the same issues.  As for me, I practiced social distancing at the office, long before it became fashionable ?

R,

People willing to sacrifice a country or a whole society for the sake of their own grab at life, hiding away. That's not courageous. I'm willing to face the risk and I see that as the more courageous option. I've seen a loved one die of lack of breath (not from the virus). And if you say Trump is a fool and you don't like him all I can say is know your enemy.

8 hours ago, Brian Drysdale said:

I suspect this thread is getting too political for a cinematography forum. 

As for the original question, after the first bell curve has past is the most likely time scale.   

Yep we have to get over the hump and have more people who have survived and can’t get sick again than are vulnerable. After that herd immunity kicks in and the ability of the virus to jump and find valid hosts exponentially falls off. Still want to be careful and wash hands and stay away from huge gatherings but most jobs should come back. 

I can't wait for the Hollywood studios to line up and demand bail out money from Washington.  This is going to be funny.....an industry of people who make no secret of their loathing for Trump, are now stuck potentially asking him for financial help.   There will be endless Republican talking heads on the news from conservative states, screaming about how Hollywood is a "smut factory" and should not receive a penny in financial aid.  This should be entertaining to watch. ?

R,

Ive been reading that a person's blood type could possibly determine what kind of effect the Coronavirus could have on them. It seems likely that people with blood type O may only experience mild symptoms or no symptoms whereas those with blood type A may experience more severe symptoms.

By the way, Prince Charles has the Coronavirus and seems to be faring well.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Ive been reading that a person's blood type could possibly determine what kind of effect the Coronavirus could have on them. It seems likely that people with blood type O may only experience mild symptoms or no symptoms whereas those with blood type A may experience more severe symptoms.

By the way, Prince Charles has the Coronavirus and seems to be faring well.

Millions could be carrying it right now around the globe.  The positive test results keep going up only because people showing symptoms are being tested.  There is no plan to test the entire population, nor can that feasibly be done.

R,

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

I can't wait for the Hollywood studios to line up and demand bail out money from Washington.  This is going to be funny.....an industry of people who make no secret of their loathing for Trump, are now stuck potentially asking him for financial help.   There will be endless Republican talking heads on the news from conservative states, screaming about how Hollywood is a "smut factory" and should not receive a penny in financial aid.  This should be entertaining to watch. ?

R,

They wouldn‘t be asking Trump. If that happens they would ask the US government, no matter what party the president belongs to. Same as the airlines, the oil industry, the cruise ship industry etc.  But it would probably be spun that way. 

1 minute ago, Uli Meyer said:

They wouldn‘t be asking Trump. If that happens they would ask the US government, no matter what party the president belongs to. Same as the airlines, the oil industry, the cruise ship industry etc.  But it would probably be spun that way. 

Not having Trump or the Republican senators on their side, will make things very difficult for them.  I can't wait to see if it happens, the optics will not be good for Hollywood, especially since the public's perception will be that companies who pay movie stars 20 million per movie are getting a tax payer funded bail out, meanwhile those millions of people making minimum wage are struggling just to get by.

R,

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Not having Trump or the Republican senators on their side, will make things very difficult for them.  I can't wait to see if it happens, the optics will not be good for Hollywood, especially since the public's perception will be that companies who pay movie stars 20 million per movie are getting a tax payer funded bail out, meanwhile those millions of people making minimum wage are struggling just to get by.

R,

The government here is still trying to figure out how to help the freelancers in the UK but are worried that there might be some that might get support and don't really need it. So they leave 5 million people hanging in the air. Strangely they do not have that worry when it comes to giving taxpayer money to the mega industries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

The government here is still trying to figure out how to help the freelancers in the UK but are worried that there might be some that might get support and don't really need it. So they leave 5 million people hanging in the air. Strangely they do not have that worry when it comes to giving taxpayer money to the mega industries.

It's a chance they have to take for the greater good and for the essence of speed.

And I agree with you.....mega industries are handed bailouts, and the FIRST thing they do is pay all the executives million dollar bonuses.  Then they wait a year, and lay off a ton of people.

GM really burned the Canadian and US governments, GM got a massive bailout in 2008 to save jobs, then laid off thousands.  They actually shut their plant in Oshawa Ontario, even though they have received millions and millions in government money.

R,

45 minutes ago, Max Field said:

So the news is now saying every American will be getting a $1200 check in the mail to aid in this financial crisis...

Gonna be a huge upsurge in video game purchases.

R,

BTW, I was right about this nation of pot heads deeming pot stores an "essential service."  Makes me sick driving around today seeing all the small businesses at the strip malls, dark, with no cars parked in front.  Ordered closed, while beer stores, liquor stores, and pot stores, are deemed essential and stay open, sickening:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ontario-pot-shops-can-open-during-covid-19-virus-related-layoffs-begin-122841607.html

4 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

BTW, I was right about this nation of pot heads deeming pot stores an "essential service."  Makes me sick driving around today seeing all the small businesses at the strip malls, dark, with no cars parked in front.  Ordered closed, while beer stores, liquor stores, and pot stores, are deemed essential and stay open, sickening:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ontario-pot-shops-can-open-during-covid-19-virus-related-layoffs-begin-122841607.html

I've actually not been drinking since the lockdown happened and I've already lost five pounds 

7 minutes ago, Dylan Gill said:

I've actually not been drinking since the lockdown happened and I've already lost five pounds 

With the bars closed, drunk driving accidents are sure to plummet across LA.

3 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

With the bars closed, drunk driving accidents are sure to plummet across LA.

Hope so. I usually like to have a few beers out especially when I'm writing to not go insane. Canned beer doesn't really replicate having a cold one out so I just didn't bother buying any. Plus I don't want to divert any attention away from fighting illness, even small amounts of alcohol take priority in the liver. Between that and all the cardio I do, I figure i'll be in good enough shape to fight it if i get it 

• Premium Member

That’s worrying,

According to California governor Gavin Newsom, nearly half of the state’s confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus were of people between the ages of 18 and 49.

5 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Yes. This is the bit that sticks in my throat

7 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

That’s worrying,

According to California governor Gavin Newsom, nearly half of the state’s confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus were of people between the ages of 18 and 49.

that is most likely because that age group is the most social and are not heeding the warnings they are given. Look at New Orleans now since Mardi Gras. As soon as last week, several bars in Boston were jammed packed, according to the news. Lots of ignorant/selfish people out there.