How long do you think we're gonna be unemployed?

Frank Hegyi

14 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

You've got 86 reported cases in Wyoming.  

They've only tested 1600 WY residents, a state with 577,000 people. The positives are spread out all over the state.

If WY self-quarantines longer they can slow the spread.

Yes, I can guarantee you the number of carriers is way higher than 1600.  Same for the entire world population.  Most people are simply not developing symptoms. 

The only way to guarantee these restrictions will work is if you implement a full quarantine, and that means closing the grocery stores as well.  My son is 16, works in a grocery store, he is interacting with the public all through his shift at the store, he could get it from a customer, and then spread it.  But what is the alternative? Shut the grocery stores and starve the population?

We're going to have to learn how to live along side COVID-19, just as we have learned to live along side the flu which killed 32, 400 Americans last year.  But evidently was not a media worthy statistic, I had to look it up on the CDC website.

R,

IMO, the solution is to test all the people that interact in public, and those who are positive or not immune should self-quarantine, at least until the healthcare facilities are able to handle any influx of new cases.

• Like 1

IATSE Responds to Passage of ‘CARES’ Act in Congress
Friday, March 27, 2020 - 2:59 pm
IATSE released a statement regarding the passage of the “CARES” Act:

CONGRESS PASSES “CARES” ACT PROVIDING IMMEDIATE ECONOMIC RELIEF FOR ENTERTAINMENT WORKERS

In its latest response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, Congress has passed a third package of emergency relief legislation, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security “CARES” Act. This bill will provide tangible and immediate economic relief for entertainment workers across the United States, many of whom found themselves out of work overnight due to COVID-19 related cancellations across all sectors of the entertainment industry.

Entertainment freelance, or gig, workers who expected to work for a day, week, month, or season on a production are now without planned wages and benefits indefinitely. Current state unemployment insurance benefits tend to be insufficient for entertainment workers, and many are not eligible for the paid leave expansion in the newly passed Families First Coronavirus Response Act because of the unique nature of freelance work.

IATSE members and allies sent over 107,000 letters to Congress urging lawmakers to include displaced entertainment workers in the next legislative relief package, and our voices were heard. IATSE commends Congress for expanding access to economic support for loss of work related to COVID-19.

The CARES Act contains the following key provisions:

• Creates a Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program to provide payment to those not traditionally eligible for unemployment benefits who are unable to work as a direct result of the coronavirus public health emergency. This includes entertainment workers with limited work history and scheduled, or offered, work that did not commence.
  • Provides an additional $600 per week payment to each recipient of unemployment insurance or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for up to four (4) months.
  • Provides an additional thirteen (13) weeks of unemployment benefits to help those who remain unemployed after weeks of state unemployment are no longer available.
  • Provides one-time direct payments of $1,200 for all individuals making up to $75,000; $112,500 for head of household. Married couples making up to $150,000 who file a joint return are eligible for $2,400. Those amounts increase by $500 for every child. The check amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 a taxpayer’s income exceeds the phase-out threshold. The amount is completely phased-out for single filers with incomes exceeding $99,000, $136,500 for head of household filers, and $198,000 for joint filers.
  • Waives the 10-percent early withdrawal penalty for distributions up to $100,000 from qualified retirement accounts for coronavirus-related purposes.

Entertainment workers will now receive economic support to help make up for the income lost due to cancelled or postponed work, and that money will soon be in the hands of working families.

The bill also increases federal arts funding – $75 million each – for the National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, and Corporation for Public Broadcasting for grants to assist arts nonprofits and other employers in financing projects and performances.

However, our work is not done – the crisis continues and so does the fight. The IATSE remains focused on ensuring that subsequent COVID-19 relief legislation includes pension relief, access to affordable healthcare, and economic support for the entertainment industry to put people back to work. We also stand in solidarity with our brothers, sisters, and kin on the front lines of this coronavirus pandemic and call for increased safety and protections as they seek to help others. 

We look forward to the day when entertainment workers can start helping the country heal, but we must first mitigate this public health crisis and ensure we sustain working people until they can safely return to work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JD Hartman said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a major die-off of the SF, LA and NYC homeless population. And before any yells conspiracy theory or cover-up or whatever, yes I would have heard about it.

Quite frankly they live outside in the open air, and as anyone knows, any person to person disease transmitted by breathing is greatly lessened out in the open air.  The pandemic victims in 1918 recovered much faster when they were placed outside in the open air as the warm weather came.  Now look at seniors homes by contrast....elderly people stuck inside all day, no wonder out breaks happen in such places.

R,

5 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

You'll never be able to test all 330 million Americans.  Especially with the massive patch work of private health-insurance, medicare, the uninsured, the millions and millions of homeless and undocumented migrants, plus all 50 states operating as sovereign nations.  Geez, what a complete mess it would be.  If you set up free public testing sites, the undocumented will stay away in droves, they will fear arrest and deportation.

R,

Yes, concur. America is not the ideal place to get it done in an authoritarian or socialized way.

Supposedly virus can be killed if it runs out of hosts. But it is so catchy and virulent, that if you miss just a few infected people the virus can erupt again. From my understanding it spread worldwide just from 1 person.

But the big question / worry is...does it go away or go dormant in the summer. Scary as hell how our lives worldwide have been destroyed with a invisible microbe. 

2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Quite frankly they live outside in the open air, and as anyone knows, any person to person disease transmitted by breathing is greatly lessened out in the open air.  The pandemic victims in 1918 recovered much faster when they were placed outside in the open air as the warm weather came.  Now look at seniors homes by contrast....elderly people stuck inside all day, no wonder out breaks happen in such places.

R,

Really? The ones I see live in Penn Station, subway tunnels, train cars,  encampments under bridges, etc., dirty conditions, in close quarters.  

Fresh air will do as much for the Corona virus as it did for TB in the 1900's.                                        

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

Trump has now changed his mind again. This report from The Guardian:

Trump cited projection models that said potentially 2.2 million people or more could have died had the country tried to “wing it” and not put social distancing measures in place. “I kept asking and we did models,” he said. “These are 2.2 million people would have died.

“And so, if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 – it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 [thousand] and 200,000 – we altogether have done a very good job.”

He has extended the national shutdown for a further month.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

This is how you do it, good job Sweden.  You don't shut down the entire economy with ridiculous Draconian measures.  Measures that are proving not to work anyway as time drags on:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52076293

How do you know whether measures are working or not? It’s still very early days.

Anyway, different countries have different demographics and infection timelines, what seems to work in one place may not be right for another, or be the right time for it. Sweden’s approach might change if their numbers go up drastically, which is all too likely. They have many more deaths than other countries with comparable infection numbers at the moment, which could be because there are way more infections than they have detected. Check out their statistics, currently 110 dead and only 16 recovered. In Australia we have slightly more official infection cases but only 18 dead and 244 recovered. Is that because of our ridiculous Draconian measures? I don’t know. Right now I don’t think anyone really does, but most countries are following a similar approach towards locking down.

Sweden will be an interesting test case to look at in a few months (along with Brazil), but I wouldn’t be applauding them just yet.

India is in a terrible situation no matter what they do unfortunately. Letting the virus spread uncontrollably would most likely be be a worse catastrophe, but part of the blame for their current dire situation lies with the Indian government’s lack of foresight in preparing for the lockdown. 

15 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Are you sure it worked in Italy? Cases just seem to keep exploding there in spite of the Draconian measures.  At the end of the day this thing is going to run its course and die out on its own, same as every flu season.  Trump is right in that states who have a very low number of cases like Wyoming, should be fully re opened.  New York is a hot spot for disease spread on a good day for obvious reasons.

R,

Cases are shown to decrease. NO STATES SHOULD BE REOPENED, this is insanity. Absolute insanity. This is not the **(obscenity removed)** flu, just so we're clear.

• Upvote 2

Richard embarrassing himself in here. Jesus christ. SELF ISOLATION IS A MUST, it's been said over and over again, it's to save lives, slow the spread and yes, cases are decreasing in countries doing it, even if it might take weeks to take effect. This is as basic as it gets. Anyone not complying with self isolation (unless they're doing something essential or are with members of their household) should be locked up. They're endangering lives. I'd advise people to log onto Twitter and take a look at many of the testimonies from nurses, doctors, civilians to see how bad it is. 

BUT it will pass, who knows when, the antibody test is coming to the US as well as to the UK and will be a game changer. From what we know, people who have had Covid 19 are immune for the time being. A virologist on Twitter explained the rumored handful of cases in Asia, where the virus supposedly reemerged as trace amounts of it still remaining in the system although not being infectious or sick anymore, and being detected OR faulty tests. 

Edited by Manu Delpech
  • Upvote 1

I would go crazy if I didn't have a laugh now and again. I read that many Australians are so frustrated right now that they want NZ to annex AUS...read about it here...scroll down for the map...North Island, South Island, Big Island, or as some prefer, West Island

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12320969

6 hours ago, Manu Delpech said:

. Anyone not complying with self isolation (unless they're doing something essential or are with members of their household) should be locked up.

Of course that's ridiculous, as if any government anywhere has those kinds of resources or manpower.  Besides the courts are all closed in most places anyway.

Boating season opens May 1st, I'll be out on the water.  Of course I fully expect some government twit to decide that COVID-19 lives on the water now as well, and can therefore attach itself to the hull of a boat, and be brought back to shore.

My 16 year old son calmly goes to his job at the supermarket and interacts with the public all day.  He's not giving into the mass hysteria displayed by so many on this forum.  Over 100, 000 people have fully recovered from COVID-19, a fact that the media simply refuses to talk about.  If I check any of the news sites right now, without even looking I know what they'll say.....Cases increase to XYZ number.  Same as yesterday and the day before, and the day before. No mention of those that recover, why is that?

And what is Germany doing right, that everyone else appears to be doing wrong?

But what is remarkable about Germany's COVID-19 outbreak to date, is the relatively small number of deaths — 482 as of March 29. That works out to a case fatality rate of just 0.8 per cent, compared to China's four per cent, between six and eight per cent in France and Spain, and 11 per cent in Italy, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resoures Center.

Oh the Germans seem to think that keeping people locked up inside is a bad idea, gee, no wonder I own so many German cars, smart people:

Experts in Germany anticipate that it will be months before their outbreak is brought under control, and that COVID-19 may well spike again in the fall, as the weather turns and people come back into closer, indoor contact. 

Supermarket staff are essential workers.  Our local shops have 2 metre markings on the floor and a hand spray for every shopper who enters.

Germany is testing a lot more than other countries. it's the same procedure as the South Koreans, so they were ahead of the curve.  .

Gee, who knew this would happen?  Precisely what Justin Trudeau tried to do in Canada, yes Canada....that liberal bastion loved by the Hollywood stars.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52095500

I'm amazed at how quick people are to surrender their civil liberties, what's happening in the UK would make George Orwell say, I never saw that coming.

R,

5 minutes ago, Brian Drysdale said:

Supermarket staff are essential workers.  Our local shops have 2 metre markings on the floor and a hand spray for every shopper who enters.

Germany is testing a lot more than other countries. it's the same procedure as the South Koreans, so they were ahead of the curve.  .

Yes, and I'm proud of the fact that he's taking it all in stride, shrugging it off in fact.  So many of my hysterical neighbours and friends could learn from him.

Germany is testing a lot more than other countries. it's the same procedure as the South Koreans, so they were ahead of the curve.

Ok, so let's replace mass hysteria and Draconian lock downs, with......science.  Hmmm, could we do that instead?

R,

30 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Ok, so let's replace mass hysteria and Draconian lock downs, with......science.  Hmmm, could we do that instead?

You're too late for that in many countries, some leaders were and perhaps still are behind the curve.. 

7 minutes ago, Brian Drysdale said:

You're too late for that in many countries, some leaders were and perhaps still are behind the curve.. 

I will concede that the US is unique, for the reasons I outlined above.  Any healthcare related emergency is not something the US is well equipt to deal with.  It would be easier for the US to mount a full scale invasion of a foreign country, than to deal with a health emergency within its own borders.  Even middle class Americans with no health insurance will avoid the hospitals, knowing they could be hit with a $20, 000.00 - $30, 000.00 medical bill for a 2 day stay.  It's simply not in American DNA to accept a, "healthcare for all" mentality.  Even though on this very forum, members have vehemently defended America's for profit healthcare system.

R,

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

I'll have to make a correction in wording perhaps, there is no "national shutdown" in the USA.  Trump's extension of social distancing guidelines until April 30

I just quoted the report.

You didn't say anything about Trump citing projection models that said potentially 2.2 million people or more could have died. Is he also being hysterical in your opinion?