8-80 motor Instructions for Pathe BTL DS8 camera

Jeremy Cavanagh

• Premium Member

I’m trying to find out how to connect an 8-80 motor to a Pathe BTL DS8 camera. I’ve bought the camera and its motor but can’t find any instructions for the motor. The motor appears to couple with the film rewind mechanism on the camera but as the rewind mechanism appears to only go backwards (as you’d expect). I found a camera operating instruction manual online which has a brief section on coupling the two together via the film rewind but nothing about releasing the rewind so it drives the film forward. I don’t not to break things when coupling the two together and turning the motor on and trying to force it....

The weird thing camera does have a separate direct drive shaft but the motor doesn’t physically couple to it.

Any ideas.

293B2F48-3715-445B-8535-F75073292CF2.jpeg

E150B916-6AA7-4078-A97B-4AC13EE721C6.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Cavanagh
photo added

• Premium Member

Update. A fellow cinematography member very kindly sent me a copy of an article on the 16mm version which explained in much better detail how to couple the camera and motor together and that has explained everything.

Being in lockdown here in London should give some time over the next few weeks to run some test rolls through the camera, not sure if anyone is processing film here at the moment though. 

• 11 months later...

Hi Jeremy,

I've acquired the same camera and am having the same conundrum regarding the motor. Would you be willing to share your solution? I'm interested in driving the 1:1 shaft with a custom built motor, but the shaft resists forward rotation and any backward rotation force I apply winds up the spring motor. I'm assuming there must be a way of disengaging the spring motor mechanism but I can't see any obvious way of doing that. Any clues you have would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...