Using a short focal length lens on a non reflex Bolex H16

Patrick Cooper

I note that some of the non reflex Bolexes have an Octameter which provides viewing fields for 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 63mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses. Though what if say you mounted a 10mm lens? How could you compose accurately with such a short focal length lens? I suppose you could make some kind of external frame finder. Hope there might be resources somewhere with suggestions on how large to make the frame to match the field of view and dealing with parallax. Shining light through the gate with the wide angle lens attached might give some kind of guide. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Many, many years ago, my father made an underwater housing for a Yashica camera which he used successfully while scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef. This camera was not an SLR. It may have been a rangefinder perhaps. He made a frame finder for the housing which appeared to work quite well - judging by the underwater slides that were exposed with that camera. Overall, the compositions were pretty good so he must have been doing something right. I wish I could ask him how he worked out the dimensions and placement of the frame finder but he's not around anymore.