Anamorphic on a budget

Hi guys, 

I'm looking into getting an affordable but real anamorphic look for some of my projects. I have an Ursa Mini camera Ef mount and my taking lenses will probably be contax Zeiss glass. I've tried the Slr magic anamorphot 2x but wasn't truly satisfied with it. After some reading the isco micro Red is supposedly the best "affordable" option. I quoted that because I can only find it in a store in the US and for a projection lens it's heavily priced (especially with the single focus system which is vital). 

What do you guys suggest? 

Thanks 

• Premium Member

If there was such a thing as an affordable but real anamorphic look, everyone would be using it, sadly.

I have shot with the 1.33:1 SLR magic and, like your opinion of the 2:1, wasn't convinced. Too mushy. Definitely need to be used well stopped-down.

Personally I'm not sure it wouldn't be better just to find some old stills primes or something with nice swirly bokeh, and stick a thread on the back of the lens if you're super-desperate for the horizontal flare. Also look at the Schneider Tru-Streak, but I find them a bit over the top. Shoot wider lenses than you usually would and crop.

There's the Sirui which I'm trying to get on loan. Don't know about those. Otherwise, the downsides of cheap anamorphic make it non-worthwhile in my view.

P

There is some good information on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/anamorphicshooters/

And people do seem to be able to get some nice images out of projection lens set ups... Lots of good advice there - but for me the rigs look a bit precarious, not sure I'd want to take that route on a narrative shoot. I guess I have to keep saving up to be able to hire in some cine anamorphics.