gelling LED for Color Temp

JB Earl

Has anyone had luck coming up with gel sets for adjusting color temp on good quality daylight LEDs?   I know straight CTO won't work right.  Is it worth the trouble to test adding +G -G cyan etc?

• Premium Member

Straight CTO may work right in rare cases - some of the very best modern stuff - but even then I think you're right, it's to be approached with caution.

Lee Filters has the Zircon range which is intended for this sort of situation; I have a test pack of it here and it seems to have a lump more absorption between the turquoise and deep blue, presumably with the intent of notching out some of that LED blueness. My observation was that it works reasonably well in that intent, and avoids creating a horrible yellowish mess as some orange gels will do on LEDs, but it isn't really as simple as throwing CTB on a tungsten light and knowing it'll work. That's fair enough because LEDs aren't nearly well-enough standardised for that degree of certitude ever to be possible, but you can at least achieve something by testing.

Otherwise, best not to filter LEDs, to be honest, unless you're after party colour effects.