CP-16A New user questions

Elliott Atkinson

Recently I purchased a CP-16/A that was surplussed from a film school on ebay. The camera turns on and seems to run alright, however on the box it came in it says "missing take up belt" dated from 2009. After doing some research it seemed like it was possible to perhaps do this repair yourself some what easily? However I could only find tutorials for the CP-16R version, so I don't know for certain if it is the same process. 

Additionally, I was wondering is it possible to remove the lens on this camera. It came with an Angenieux 12-120 with a iris servo motor attached, and a viewfinder. I haven't been able to determine if the lens is removable or not out of fear of breaking it since it seems pretty stuck on there.

Also the view finder frame in the camera, becomes crooked when adjusting the position of the eye piece is this a fixable issue?

Lastly is it possible to load 100 foot day light spools into the mag of this camera, or only 400 foot roles? 

I am really new to the 16mm format, so any other general advice using this camera would be greatly appreciated as well. 

Edited by Elliott Atkinson

I don't know these cameras well. Almost bought one a long time ago, but my registration test didn't look good so I passed. The take up belt i assume is referring to the magazine take up belt. All the CP16R, CP16As that I remember had an external belt driving the mag take up. 

You may find a manual online. A manual for the CP16R, R/A was easy to find. Experts will know if there are common parts, design features.

I don't know where to find a new take-up belt, but I do remember that it's normal for the image in the viewfinder to rotate as you reposition the viewfinder.

With practice, you will get used to the rotated image in the viewfinder and your brain will correct it until it looks normal to you ?

45 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

I don't know where to find a new take-up belt, but I do remember that it's normal for the image in the viewfinder to rotate as you reposition the viewfinder.

With practice, you will get used to the rotated image in the viewfinder and your brain will correct it until it looks normal to you ?

Okay thanks, that is good to know. I think at this point the only real question I have is if it is possible to swap the lens out. 

• 8 months later...

Whitehouse AV in Southern California and Visual Products in Ohio were the go to places for CP16 maintenance and repairs. 

There are two paths of drive to the take-up spool in the magazine. One is an external belt which runs fro a pulley on the camera body to a pulley on the magazine. That belt is a simple neoprene ring and could possibly be found as an o-ring seal. Another is a ladder cogbelt which is inside the camera body. This belt is more problematic. It is a one-off for the camera type.

It appears to be moulded rubber around a cord core. The material ages and perishes. The cog teeth fall off, dropping to the main gear and lodge between the drive gear and the driven gear. If it does not lock the drive entirely it may embed between two teeth and cause lighter frames as it cycles though and momentarily baulks the shutter drive. 

There are belts kits advertised by Whitehouse AV on eBay as mentioned above. The new ladder belts appear to be a synthetic material and longer lasting. The cogbelt is essential for accurate counting of the footage run through the camera. If accurate numbers on the footage counter are not a consideration, you could probably get away with using a toothless o-ring belt.