Issue Viewfinder Bolex h16

Hi,

I just got a bolex h16 from the web which I can return if the item was different from how it was described. 

When I look through the viewfinder, I see the rectangle of the viewfinder, and inside it, as If it was offset, the image, like in the quick sketch I've attached.

Is this normal? If not, is it easy to fix? Should I just return the camera? I've managed to get some nice lens with it and would like to keep it but if this is an issue I'll have no option that to return it. 

Thanks a lot

Senza nome 2.png

Edited by Francesco Palombi

• Premium Member

Finder adjustment

If you want to take care yourself, here my instructions:

• Undo the four screws in the finder channel top cover
  • Pull top cover forward or with an older model unscrew the black anodized aluminum rear eyecup (possibly a rubber pad needed) and then lift the cover up
  • Search a screwdriver that fits snugly in the (lacquered white) grooved nuts to adjust the prism. The original tool is a slotted screwdriver.
  • Turn the nuts gently so long until the light area is centered in the dark frame. It may be necessary to help the prism holder move under the three pressure springs.
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for your answer Simon. 

I will try to do it after Tuesday as the camera came with 5 lenses but I just noticed one has the aperture ring blocked - so I might return everything and I'm waiting for the seller response - and don't want to put my hands on it before I hear from him. 

Am I right to consider this finder adjustment resetting not a big deal? Or that could be an underlying issue? 

I am trying to understand how problematic it might be and also if I should ask for a discount or simply return the camera. 

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate the help

• Premium Member

Francesco, could you tell the serial number of the camera or show a photo? It would also help to evaluate your deal a little, if you told what lenses those are. I could give you an estimation of what the kit is worth. I’m not interested to know how much you’re paying.

It probably may have been knocked out of place in shipping.... (like that never happens)... a SPANNER tool is what is needed to access a good grip on those nuts. those are available at a full service tool/hardware store. you want to adjust till you have an equal black area around the image. while you're at the tool/hardware store get a little ounce bottle of model car paint to apply to the nuts you adjusted to lock them down. Then with compressed air gently blow out dust a flacks of paint loose in the viewfinder.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

Francesco, could you tell the serial number of the camera or show a photo? It would also help to evaluate your deal a little, if you told what lenses those are. I could give you an estimation of what the kit is worth. I’m not interested to know how much you’re paying.

Bolex Reflex h16 mm, serial number 148669, with original leather case
5 lenses:
1- SWITAR 1: 1.4/25, no. 636861
2- SWITAR 1: 1.8/16, no. 413032
3- YVAR 1: 3.3/100, no. 290150 
4- ANGENIEUX 1: 1.3/15, no. 1188807
5- SCHNEIDER-XENAR 1:4.5/150, no. 3789650

The Yvar lens is the one with the stuck aperture ring. I paid for the whole lot 505 euros. 

There s also the handle grip included. thanks!

• Premium Member

Impossible for me to open the jp2 file

The lenses together are worth around $1,200. A 1957 H-16 Reflex offers six times finder magnification. No attachment of an electric motor

You may want to return everything, find a younger model camera, and concentrate on single lenses that you add over time. Material of a certain age needs servicing. Don’t be surprised, if an overhaul costs as much as the lens itself. Say, you purchase a RX Switar 25-1.4 for $300. Disassembly, cleaning, checking, reassembly, fresh lubricants, and adjusting will cost about the same amount. So make sure the glass is intact. Presence of original screw caps is a good sign.

Please read about the Paillard-Bolex cameras in their section.

Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. I must say, the lenses, except from the Ynvar seem to be in good state, especially the Xenar and the Angeniuex.

Im trying to see if I can fix the viewfinder before deciding if returning the camera, but I'm stuck at the point one:

- Undo the four screws in the finder channel top cover.

Im not sure where those screws are. ? Do I have to remove the viewfinder first? ho do I do that?

thanks, 

francesco

ps: one pic of the camera plus two pictures of this weird motored handle grip? I couldnt find a single picture of it on the internet and zero information. Im not sure Im managing to understand it ?

https://ibb.co/nwKvjZY

https://ibb.co/d43VNWv

https://ibb.co/yNY0BQ5