Bolex Super 16 - regular 16 fisheye - cropping for 4:3

Andrew Collar

I’ve just bought a Bolex EBM that is super16, but I will be using it for 4:3. Is there any way to crop this camera’s footage in the viewfinder that I am shooting on? I’m shooting with a Century Optics 3.5mm fisheye with heavy barrel distortion. My goal is to not have lopsided barrel distortion in my image when everything is said and done. I want to be able to make markers that will equally distribute the distortion and vignetting so that it will be nearly exactly what I’d get in a regular 16 format. 

pls help! I’m kinda new to this

On 4/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, Andrew Collar said:

I’ve just bought a Bolex EBM that is super16, but I will be using it for 4:3. Is there any way to crop this camera’s footage in the viewfinder that I am shooting on? I’m shooting with a Century Optics 3.5mm fisheye with heavy barrel distortion. My goal is to not have lopsided barrel distortion in my image when everything is said and done. I want to be able to make markers that will equally distribute the distortion and vignetting so that it will be nearly exactly what I’d get in a regular 16 format. 

pls help! I’m kinda new to this

Is there any reason that  you went with the Super 16 Bolex? My advice would be to trade your S16 or buy a second bolex for shooting 4:3...This will make your life a lot easier, plus you can use any lenses without fear of vignetting, soft edges, etc. The 3.5 should be clean edge to edge on a 4:3 bolex.

I've been shooting skate pieces on 16mm for the last few years. I actually really like the Century 5.5mm, especially for shooting lines while looking through the viewfinder. 

What type of stuff do you plan on shooting? Maybe you could just mark the viewfinder with tape or something? 

Here's a few skate pieces I have shot on that setup if you're curious.

Edited by Ben Ericson

Hey Ben, thanks for the reply. I’ve actually been following your work for a while, since the Skateperception days. 

The seller actually agreed to sell me a regular EBM instead thankfully. I’m looking forward to using it for a long-form skate project. 

The Griffin Gass video you made was very dope btw!

1 hour ago, Andrew Collar said:

Hey Ben, thanks for the reply. I’ve actually been following your work for a while, since the Skateperception days. 

The seller actually agreed to sell me a regular EBM instead thankfully. I’m looking forward to using it for a long-form skate project. 

The Griffin Gass video you made was very dope btw!

That's great they let you switch... Thank you man. Ah Skate Perception. I miss that place. 

1 hour ago, David Dominguez said:

Ben those films are amazing. Do you have a link to the the fisheye you shot the Griffin film on? What other lenses are you using? Thanks! 

Thank you, David. The used Century Fisheye Lens / eBay purchasing is rough. There are so many different casings / markings. I have seen probably 20 different c mount century lenses on eBay. You basically just have to wait for one to show up and buy it. Obviously you can't buy any of these lenses new anymore.

I use the Bolex Rex 4 - Century 5.9mm 1.8 Wide Angle - Kern 10mm 1.6 - Kern 26 1.1 - Kern 18-86 2.5 - Pistol Grip. 

AfterlightImage 12.JPG

AfterlightImage 11.JPG

Edited by Ben Ericson

3 hours ago, Ben Ericson said:

That's great they let you switch... Thank you man. Ah Skate Perception. I miss that place. 

Thank you, David. The used Century Fisheye Lens / eBay purchasing is rough. There are so many different casings / markings. I have seen probably 20 different c mount century lenses on eBay. You basically just have to wait for one to show up and buy it. Obviously you can't buy any of these lenses new anymore.

I use the Bolex Rex 4 - Century 5.9mm 1.8 Wide Angle - Kern 10mm 1.6 - Kern 26 1.1 - Kern 18-86 2.5 - Pistol Grip. 

AfterlightImage 12.JPG

AfterlightImage 11.JPG

Beast setup. Thanks! 

• Like 1