How loud are your CP-16 Cameras?

Elliott Atkinson

I made a post last week about fixing an old CP-16A camera that I purchased on eBay, surplussed from a film school. I was able to diagnose and fix the clutch belt, which had disintegrated previusly. Luckily everything else seemed to be in good shape; now the camera seems to work and run fine. However, it seems sort of loud relative to the cameras I've seen running online. I was able to use an app to measure how loud the camera was and it averaged around 45 Decibels when running next to the camera and around 30 or so around 6 feet away. 

I don't think this is going to be an issue for most cases, however, I'm worried about it maybe being too loud in small rooms. I was looking into maybe building a Barney for the camera to help, however, I do have some lube that came with the repair kit, so perhaps some of the gears just need to be lubed up to help. 

Here are the tests I conducted below if anyone wants to give them a listen. More or less, just trying to determine if this about the average self camera noise, or if mine is louder then it should be, and if so what is the best way to fix it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Elliott   

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PfX6Yy5FbGZQS8kH75ZFqKBraFWxGJl5/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13tj5UChzrLrKSr2l-XnlMXpsqDV4aPuo/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Elliott Atkinson

Cp 16 should be a very quiet camera. The specs you mention means you need to get the camera serviced at Visual Products or super 16inc with Bernie. It probably needs some love -  lubrication belt adjustments etc. It is a very quiet camera that should be quiter than Eclair cameras etc. In most cases, the camera should be barely audible as long as its taken care of.

1 hour ago, Giray Izcan said:

Cp 16 should be a very quiet camera. The specs you mention means you need to get the camera serviced at Visual Products or super 16inc with Bernie. It probably needs some love -  lubrication belt adjustments etc. It is a very quiet camera that should be quiter than Eclair cameras etc. In most cases, the camera should be barely audible as long as its taken care of.

Okay thanks, this is good to know I will shoot them an email.

I've never regarded the CP16 or the CP16R as a very quiet camera and I've used both types. It's quieter after a service, however, it got louder with time, so needed another service. Care had to be taken with mag loads, otherwise you  could get a rubbing sound.

I was never in the position where I didn't know it was running, an Aaton was another matter in that regard