DOP tips & lighting books recommendations?

Hi, I recently read "Film Lighting" by Kris Malkiewicz which I found very informative, especially the chapter on "lighting on location". David Mullen and other ASC DOP's and gaffers had a ton of tips and tricks to share.

Just wondering if anyone had more recommendations along the same lines books wise? I liked the first hand accounts from DOP's and the practical lighting related tips. I do read ASC magazine which also is a great resource.

Cheers

Jon

On 4/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, Brian Doran said:

I love this channel!

If we're talking YouTube channels, I'd also recommend:

Books wise, I'd recommend:

• Matters of Light and Depth by Ross Lowell
  • Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blaine Brown
  • Masters of Light by Dennis Schaefer and Larry Salvato
  • Like 2

Don’t overlook this forum as a resource.  I started a thread a while back as a place where we can share indie tricks-of-the-trade for realizing big budget production values on a modest budget. Or, as Phil Rhodes so eloquently put it “by the application of hard-won and exquisitely-realized skill.” It takes more skill to make an indie film than a big budget studio picture. Where a Hollywood production can throw money at a problem, an indie production must work smart. The emphasis of this thread is FILM CRAFT.

For the more technically inclined I have posted on our website articles I have written for Protocol Magazine, the quarterly journal of ESTA which  stands for the Entertainment Services and Technology Association. In addition to Protocol, ESTA has created a technical standards program to serve the entertainment industry in technical standards related matters. The goal of the program is to create recommended practices,  to monitor standards issues around the world on behalf of its members, and to improve communications and safety within the industry. ESTA works closely with the technical standards efforts of other organizations within the entertainment industry, including USITT,  PLASA, and VPLT, as well as representing the interests of ESTA members to ANSI, UL, and the NFPA. The Technical Standards Program is accredited by the American National Standards Institute and applies to places of assembly; the production of film, video, and broadcast; theatrical productions; carnivals; circuses; fairs; and similar events in North America. Use this link for my articles for Protocol.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting Equipment Rental and Sales in Boston.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:49 AM, Brian Doran said:

Not a book, but I'm quite a fan of Luke Seerveld's YouTube channel, Meet the Gaffer. He does short vlogs of various lighting setups, explaining the function of each instrument. It's a bit of a living light plot. There are also episodes dedicated to miscellaneous tips and tricks. Great stuff.

Luke's is great! I also like "Gaffer & Gear" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOgN351K45vTrozaadFPXlA