Coronavirus: How will productions change how they shoot during the near/mid term future?

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

As for the regular flu, CDC website clearly says...vaccines are only effective in 40-60% of the people that get vaccinated.  The vaccine is not a cure all, sorry.

The link to that page on the CDC website would be useful.

However, you cannot use Flu vaccines as an example unless you can show that any ‘future’ vaccine for Covid -19 will have the same efficacy.  

To paraphrase: it does not follow.

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/do-masks-make-you-breathe-too-much-carbon-dioxide-1843421831

"Can a mask, cloth or otherwise, trap enough carbon dioxide to cause drowsiness or other symptoms? Fortunately, the answer is no.

Carbon dioxide is a tiny molecule, far smaller than the holes in any of these types of masks. Remember, masks stop droplets of saliva and mucus, but they still allow air to flow.

If you were wearing a plastic bag, that would be a problem, but that’s why masks are made of porous materials. The carbon dioxide can flow through them just fine. Masks can feel stuffy because your own respiratory droplets make the air around your face feel moist, but you’re not slowly poisoning yourself.

As doctor and professor Michelle Cohen points out on Twitter, the study that’s sometimes cited isn’t really relevant. It tested a very different type of mask than what we’re all wearing, and while it found that carbon dioxide levels increased somewhat, it also found that the subjects did not have any symptoms of hypercapnia."

"...Again, this is a theory that doesn’t pass a sniff test. If masks really did make people feel drowsy and confused, medical professionals would walk into work, strap on their masks, and quickly become unable to do their jobs. Masks never would have become standard equipment if this were true. How could a surgeon operate for hours if they were suffering from carbon dioxide toxicity the whole time?"
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

"The UK government has given the green light for high-end TV and film productions to resume shooting as soon as employers have put in place coronavirus safety measures"

https://deadline.com/2020/05/uk-film-tv-uk-government-coronavirus-plan-1202931107/

Can they open ups the low end too !!  

• Upvote 1

Google shows that on March 3rd an Asian man in Flushing NY been wearing his was seen passed out on a sidewalk while wearing a mask and on April 24 a man crashed his SUV into a pole into a pole and told police he had driving for hours while wearing his N95 mask in the vehicle and must have passed out. 

The risk appears to be on  par with being struck by lightning.

And the mask risk, such as it is, is additive, not multiplicative like CV-19 is, ie, one person passing out while wearing a mask is not going to cause 20 people passing out a week later, which causes 8,000 to pass out the next week and 200,000 three weeks later and millions thereafter, to pick numbers randomly but indicative of the CV-19 spread.

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Richard Boddington said:

I'm guessing this news story doesn't fit with the narrative believed by many here:

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-cases-georgia-florida-continue-153633256.html

What narrative would that be? Why don’t you look at the timeline of what happened in Florida. Or anywhere, really. How quickly restrictions where put in place, why there were more deaths in some places, what could have been done better to avoid deaths etc. Why did Greece do so well, NZ and Australia. Why are the US as a whole and the UK doing so badly. 
You, Richard, advocated to do nothing from the start. In places where nothing was done Covid 19 death rates shot up and health systems nearly collapsed. Eventually everywhere restriction were put in place as the only means to reign in infection rates. Yet you kept insisting that this was stupid, harping on about the flu and that the entire world is manipulated by the media and everybody should just go back to work. 

Now that things look like they might be improving you use that as proof that you were right? Really?

By the way, it is to soon to tell after one week if infection rates go up. Hopefully they won’t, thanks to the social distancing rules. But you’re against those too, aren’t you?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I'm guessing this news story doesn't fit with the narrative believed by many here:

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-cases-georgia-florida-continue-153633256.html

Only in parts of Florida. The science is telling the governor of Florida to keep restrictions  in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429/.

https://covidtracking.

and that pink commie newspaper.

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/plan-for-floridas-recovery/

An American friend of mine made this video about the film industry, and how shutting down our "non-essential" industry impacts jobs across the wider economy and not just us in the film industry.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, David Peterson said:

An American friend of mine made this video about the film industry, and how shutting down our "non-essential" industry impacts jobs across the wider economy and not just us in the film industry.

I'm not very impressed by this. Your friend conveniently fails to look at all the arguments and, to distract from this, points at the film makers of The Big Short who apparently didn't tell us everything about the 2008 crash. Where is his analyses of what would happen to an economy if the virus would have run rampant and killed millions of people? Take his popcorn trail example and imagine each link of that chain devastated by deaths and with grieving families everywhere. There wouldn't be a functioning economy and it would be so much harder to recover from that. The lockdown was a necessity because we knew nothing about this virus. There is no lockdown versus the economy.

As to our governments, we should be much more careful of who we elect to be our leaders. Game show hosts, compulsory liars and populist fear mongers who completely fail to do the right thing should not be in office.

1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

Where is his analyses of what would happen to an economy if the virus would have run rampant and killed millions of people?

In our country we were told there could be eighty thousand deaths which is why we must shut down (the harshest lockdown in the western world!), that turned out to be total lies and nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

The lockdown was a necessity because we knew nothing about this virus.

In future, if we know "nothing" then perhaps we shouldn't take actions which we know for 100% certainty will massively negatively impact millions of people's live? I hope we learn a lesson from this not to overreact on the basis of very shaky evidence, but I fear we won't and in only a few years from now we're going to repeat this entire mess all over again! 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, David Peterson said:

In our country we were told there could be eighty thousand deaths which is why we must shut down (the harshest lockdown in the western world!), that turned out to be total lies and nonsense. 

So you succeeded in preventing disaster and your response to that is that it wasn't necessary to shut down? The mind boggles.

33 minutes ago, David Peterson said:

In future, if we know "nothing" then perhaps we shouldn't take actions which we know for 100% certainty will massively negatively impact millions of people's live?

How do you know in advance if you are not causing even bigger devastation by not taking actions? What a silly thing to say.

Edited by Uli Meyer
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Yawwwwnnnnnn, once again.....there is a flu season every year, it kills well into the six figures every year globally.  Good grief Uli there is a documentary series about this on NetFlix, that was made BEFORE anyone heard of COVID - 19.  I wish you would watch it.

R,

I can only assume that you are deliberately being obtuse. Nobody can be this slow to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the US there were 34200 deaths during the 2018-19 influenza season, I gather ,so far, there has been 84,931covid deaths to date even with the lock downs etc. I suspect with the virus running free the US economy would still have had a serious hit with the increased deaths and people off work ill and a possible loss of confidence about mixing with people.

A dose of the flu is bad enough, but Covid 19 is like being  mauled by the all blacks (NZ) rugby team according to one victim.

In an election year the sitting president would probably be dead in the water.

Given the poor levels of testing it's hardly surprising, but the odds are that flu type symptoms  are probably covid related, given that it's been a fairly quiet year for flu deaths this year and it's late in the season.

I've noticed a few reports that suggest it may be higher than the official tally in NYC

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

I will also add, I think it's now clear why none of your projects have ever take off, and it's clear why I have six feature films in the can as the sole producer.

Really? Oh my. I have so far resisted watching one of your oeuvres, put off by the embarrassing reviews. Which one are you most fond of? I promise to give it a go.

Still, well done for talking people into getting them made. I'm sure your family and friends are proud of you.

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

At least they "exist" what have you produced that exists? Nothing.  What have you made and sold to a Hollywood major.  Lions Gate distributes my films in the US,  after paying top dollar.

I see you're good at working for other people though and punching a time clock, well done.

R,

Oh Richard, I bet you are a very loud man. Very good at making statements without having much knowledge of what you're talking about. As you have proven here repeatedly. At its peak my studio employed 110 artists and we worked on many major feature films that are all remembered. Are any of yours? I can't even find a way to watch one of them. Please do point me in the right direction. Bargain bucket at Walmart?

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Yes actually, along with other classics

Any other ways of seeing your films? I really can't find them anywhere.

20 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with, "we worked on."

I see. Richard doesn't give his crew credit. He makes his masterpieces all by himself.

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

What have you made and sold to a Hollywood major.  Lions Gate distributes my films in the US,  after paying top dollar.

I wouldn't pick on people because they haven't "sold a movie to a Hollywood major". Quite a few "filmmakers" choose not to make narrative features because they're an extremely limited entertainment form. 

Where many people aspire to make feature films from script through finishing, most don't want to. Many people prefer being a "crew person" for hire, where they can make good money, get their products seen by a much larger audience AND continue to make money without the stresses that coincide with producing a feature film. In fact, one could argue that being a "crew person" on a big show, is actually more rewarding than being a one man band, especially when you take into account the stresses put on your friends and family. 

For me, how many eyes I have on my content is far more important than how much money I earn from it. I don't create because I need to pay bills, I create because it's what I do. Yes, it just so happens to pay the bills, but even if it didn't, even if I had to sit around the house for 6 months between gigs, I'd be fine financially because I have other forms of income that can kick in at a moments notice. It's that diversification that is required for long-term success. 

I have to say, to denounce professionals like Uli because they've focused on a trade within the filmmaking industry, is kind of silly. Do you consider the trash pickup driver a lesser person because they haven't figured out a way to be more successful? They probably affect more people on a daily basis through their actions, then some kids movie does on Amazon. Maybe they like their job, which is probably union and has plenty of benefits. They work regular hours and spend time with their family, rather than traveling all over the continent, being stressed to all hell trying to produce a movie that will sit on the bottom of the Walmart $4.99 bargain basement DVD box. I don't know about you, but having done two of those movies, I'm totally done with them. I learned my lesson after the 2nd one and won't ever go back to that shit again. 

So yea, many of us are more about being creatives and if you have a huge budget to be a creative with, it's way more fun and far less stressful to simply be a crew person. I frankly wouldn't be caught dead doing what you do, way too much effort for the end result. For a movie that will win lots of awards and lead to bigger productions, maybe? 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I wouldn't pick on people because they haven't "sold a movie to a Hollywood major". Quite a few "filmmakers" choose not to make narrative features because they're an extremely limited entertainment form. 

Where many people aspire to make feature films from script through finishing, most don't want to. Many people prefer being a "crew person" for hire, where they can make good money, get their products seen by a much larger audience AND continue to make money without the stresses that coincide with producing a feature film. In fact, one could argue that being a "crew person" on a big show, is actually more rewarding than being a one man band, especially when you take into account the stresses put on your friends and family. 

For me, how many eyes I have on my content is far more important than how much money I earn from it. I don't create because I need to pay bills, I create because it's what I do. Yes, it just so happens to pay the bills, but even if it didn't, even if I had to sit around the house for 6 months between gigs, I'd be fine financially because I have other forms of income that can kick in at a moments notice. It's that diversification that is required for long-term success. 

I have to say, to denounce professionals like Uli because they've focused on a trade within the filmmaking industry, is kind of silly. Do you consider the trash pickup driver a lesser person because they haven't figured out a way to be more successful? They probably affect more people on a daily basis through their actions, then some kids movie does on Amazon. Maybe they like their job, which is probably union and has plenty of benefits. They work regular hours and spend time with their family, rather than traveling all over the continent, being stressed to all hell trying to produce a movie that will sit on the bottom of the Walmart $4.99 bargain basement DVD box. I don't know about you, but having done two of those movies, I'm totally done with them. I learned my lesson after the 2nd one and won't ever go back to that shit again. 

So yea, many of us are more about being creatives and if you have a huge budget to be a creative with, it's way more fun and far less stressful to simply be a crew person. I frankly wouldn't be caught dead doing what you do, way too much effort for the end result. For a movie that will win lots of awards and lead to bigger productions, maybe? 

Tyler, I very much agree with you, there are so many ways to be creative and money isn’t at the end of everything. I was not going to go into this but Richard’s wilful ignorance it’s just too much.
My background is in animation and I came to London as a 22 year old to work on ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’ and was later part of the initial creative team that set up Spielberg’s Amblimation in London (the studio that later became DreamWorks). I didn’t like the corporate way those companies were run and decided to set up my own studio in 1991. When it comes to achievements, I always talk about my team and ‘we’  because filmmaking is a group effort. Even if I do write, direct and produce, you are not making films on your own. Every crew member is part of the creative process and nobody should be so arrogant to say it is "just him".

My studio ‘s bread and butter work was commercials. Over 22 years we made 750 films for the world-wide market. My speciality is combining live-action and animation and I directed most of them, travelling around the world and returning to my studio to finish them off with my team. We also produced 52 episodes of a children’s show for the BBC at one point but I felt that this wasn’t what I wanted to do. Because of my reputation in the industry, we worked on many high profile projects for most of the major studios. I was always very much involved in the creative process of those films, not just work for hire. Ivan Reitman once told me that I saved his ass on ‘Space Jam’.

As an artist and designer I created many characters that are still remember today (American Tail, Space Jam and, don't laugh, many cereal characters that people fondly remember) My Instagram account has 25,000 followers and people collect my artwork. I was friends with the late Ronald Searle, a famous British illustrator, and he and entrusted me with his most famous characters. I am currently developing a feature based on ‘Molesworth’.
I have pitched many feature film projects, both Live Action and animation and have come close to making them. Who knows, some might still happen. And there will be more attempts in the future. I like the short film format and love analogue film. My last film ‘From Life’ won several awards. I was in the middle of preparing two more short film projects when the pandemic happened.
Having looked at Richards titles and having read some of the reviews, I come to the conclusion that his biggest talent is talking people into getting his films made. I don’t know how he does it, it can’t be the quality of his projects. So hats off to that. I was never good at being a salesman.

Like many of us, I create every day, no matter if it is for money or just to enjoy myself. Not sure what Richard does between making ‘Dogfather’ films. He does go boating and thinks the coronavirus is no more dangerous than the flu. That I know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

So things here in Slovenia are getting back to normal and the lock down has been relaxed so we're getting back to production and are scheduled to start shooting a TV series episode in a couple of weeks and we'll be shooting three days. 

Of course a few precautions will be taken like if someone doesn't feel well they'll stay home, inside the crew will ware masks or outside if someone needs to come closer and we're keeping the crew really light with no unnecessary people on set and everyone needs to sign a liability waver, which was done anyway accept now it says that besides all the usual stuff that you need to watch out for your own and others safety as much as possible.
My personal request was that everyone be issued their own personal hand sanitizers and that they actually use them as much as possible and also everyone operating equipment is tasked with keeping their own equipment clean which I had always insisted on anyway.  

Besides keeping the crew light we'll be trying to shoot stuff in a way to have as few talent as possible which might be a challenge next month when we're supposed to be shooting a music video in a crowded bar. But I guess we'll figure a workaround in one way or another. 

Wish us luck but with the low numbers around here and the restrictions being relaxed for a few weeks now and the numbers still falling we're not expecting any issues. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for your story Uli, good stuff! 

16 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Having looked at Richards titles and having read some of the reviews, I come to the conclusion that his biggest talent is talking people into getting his films made.

Bingo! That's the trick! In the long run, filmmaking is a business. The better you are at being a businessman, the better you are as getting your product made. In business, it's all about compromise. You compromise on the story, you compromise on the locations, you compromise on the actors, the soundtrack, final cut, distributor, etc... everything is a compromise and what you're left with is a shadowy reflection of the original intent. 

16 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

like many of us, I create every day, no matter if it is for money or just to enjoy myself.

I'm not a businessperson, I'm a creative. So I just hire a good businessperson AND producer and I can simply focus on being a creative. ?

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Just as an update. 

There have been around 4 or 5 commercials made in Madrid, Spain, this week, very small crews (for what people are used to) and with a lot of precautions.  

Next week there will be another 4 or 5. 

? 

• Like 3