MDA Filter

Hi there,

Would anyone happen to know what an 'MDA' filter is? Or what filter it stands for? I was sparking on a set recently (just before the whole virus thing) and I noticed the DP's matt box on the shoot had an 'MDA' lable on it as well as a Pola for polariser. Just curious to know what the filter was.

Cheers

• Premium Member

No, that makes sense, Mitchells came in strengths A through D or E I think -- I guess the "D" (for diffusion?) was unnecessary, you'd label it M-A if a Mitchell A filter. It's in this collection of tests:

I used Mitchells for a few shots of one actress on my second feature, never used them again -- I felt that they just threw the focus off! The Tiffen Black Diffusion/FX is a better design of the same idea.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

No, that makes sense, Mitchells came in strengths A through D or E I think -- I guess the "D" (for diffusion?) was unnecessary, you'd label it M-A if a Mitchell A filter. It's in this collection of tests:

I used Mitchells for a few shots of one actress on my second feature, never used them again -- I felt that they just threw the focus off! The Tiffen Black Diffusion/FX is a better design of the same idea.

Of course!!!  Mitchells do come in strengths of A-E.  I should have known since I own two sets!  Mitchell Diffusion A is the lightest diffusion in the set.

G