Hi there,

Would anyone happen to know what an 'MDA' filter is? Or what filter it stands for? I was sparking on a set recently (just before the whole virus thing) and I noticed the DP's matt box on the shoot had an 'MDA' lable on it as well as a Pola for polariser. Just curious to know what the filter was.

Cheers

Could be... A friend of mine just told me he's seen on instagram another DP using these and apparently it's some kind of secret vintage diffusion filter? Who knows...

No, that makes sense, Mitchells came in strengths A through D or E I think -- I guess the "D" (for diffusion?) was unnecessary, you'd label it M-A if a Mitchell A filter. It's in this collection of tests:

I used Mitchells for a few shots of one actress on my second feature, never used them again -- I felt that they just threw the focus off! The Tiffen Black Diffusion/FX is a better design of the same idea.

• Like 1

Speaking of filters, I see that Tiffen now has "antique" versions of their diffusion line... what does that mean? I'm guessing they put their lightest grade of Antique Suede as a base color.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

No, that makes sense, Mitchells came in strengths A through D or E I think -- I guess the "D" (for diffusion?) was unnecessary, you'd label it M-A if a Mitchell A filter. It's in this collection of tests:

I used Mitchells for a few shots of one actress on my second feature, never used them again -- I felt that they just threw the focus off! The Tiffen Black Diffusion/FX is a better design of the same idea.

Of course!!!  Mitchells do come in strengths of A-E.  I should have known since I own two sets!  Mitchell Diffusion A is the lightest diffusion in the set.

G