New music video that fits the current theme

So about seven months ago we had shot this music video with the band we worked with and the video had been done for a couple of months now but they were waiting to release it because of stuff to do with the record label. But looking back now I love the fact that they had waited because it fits the theme a lot more now.

Anyway the theme was really simple we just went off the lyrics of the song and the backstory of how it came to be. The original plan was to shoot with the army guys and then with some MMA guys and then with some medievale jousting guys and a bunch of more things but in the end when going over the budget and scheduling problems the plan was changed and we only shot with the army guys, the tycoon guys and added the shots with the band so that we'd have enough. 

I'm personally not that happy with the band shots because we shot in a large gymnasium where the walls were painted white and no matter what we tried we always had bounce everywhere so we planed in advance and decided to light form behind and then use a bounce to light the band individually from the front.

One other funny thing was when we were shooting with the army guys we had told the local police and fire departments that we were shooting there and that we'd be using smoke effects so that nobody would get worried what was happening. Most of the time the smoke effects were blown away by winds but we still needed some smoke in the front to create a little bit of layering and the only way we could do that was by having someone smoke an e cigarette in front of the camera lens that was really funny but even funnier was when one smoke effect went off an covered the whole valley and nobody could see anything the only thing that could be heard was me screaming and directing the army guys trough the bullhorn and at the end I asked my girlfriend who was the DP if we got all that and she replied "Oh yeah we got everything... white out trough the whole screen...". That was really funny. 

Anyway here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job! Got a little bored with the guys playing army. The back and forth was too long for my taste. But I get bored easy, so don't go by me.

What was wrong with the band shots? No need to downgrade them.

Impressive titles. 

How long did it take to shoot? 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Nice job! Got a little bored with the guys playing army. The back and forth was too long for my taste. But I get bored easy, so don't go by me.

What was wrong with the band shots? No need to downgrade them.

Impressive titles. 

How long did it take to shoot? 

Thank you.

I know there's too much of the army guys in there but that has a lot to do with the concept being changed mid shoot. 

The first idea was to have the two chess guys play a game and then shoot army guys, some mixed martial arts guys fighting, then some medieval guys jousting and some sort of royalty watching the show and a couple of other things to really show the concept.

But since the guys from the band had some problems getting the other reenactment people on board we ended up using only the army guys and thankfully we had enough footage and changed the theme a little to fit just the army guys. 

Thankfully I was worried that this exact thing might happen so I pushed to shoot everything so that it could be used as a stand alone sequence for the whole video. 

The army guys and the chess guys we shot all in one day. About 6 hours for the army guys and another 3 for the chess guys.

Thankfully there wasn't a lot of prep work for either because we shot the army guys on a field where they already practice paintball or something so the only thing we had to worry about was setting up a tent for the equipment since it rained a little. Literally it took us more time to talk to the cops and the fire department who were curious about the shoot and came around, since we let both of them know what we were doing to prevent unnecessary panic from any neighbors that could have seen smoke or something.

For the chess guys we had a dark room near by where the band practices. I think it's the vocal recording studio or something and just light with one light, two chairs and a table. The two guys were actually playing chess in the mean time so we just shot a bunch of those shots and added a couple additional shots that I needed for the story.

As for the band it took a little longer because we shot on another day in an school gymnasium. But we had more prep since everything needed to be moved behind the camera to make as much space around the band. Then they had to move in all the band equipment and set up the lighting twice. But the biggest problem was since we had to shoot everything with many takes the guys needed breaks in between to catch their breath so we shot something like 4 to 5 takes in one go and then took a break for a different setup and repeated this something like 13 times. So there were something like 60 takes of the whole song and it took us around 7 hours to prep shoot and bugger out again.

All in all one of the shoots where almost everything went right and I enjoyed myself because the guys from the band are really good sports and do anything I ask them to do and the army guys were great too because they also did everything like they were supposed to and were even consistent.