Aaton rocker switch

David Sekanina

• Premium Member

I want to build an run/stop switch for steadicam use and I was wondering, the Aaton rocker switch on the wooden handle is connected to a 2 pin Lemo on the camera. Connecting the two pins makes the camera run. flipping the switch to the other side, opens the gate. Does this position on the switch have a resistor, so the camera knows which one has been pressed, and if yes, whats the resistance?

Aaton's require continuous contact closure to run.

The rocker switch is a simple mom-off-on type of switch similar to a microforce run switch. The momentary side just briefly connects the start pin to ground which phases the camera. The on side of the switch  closes the circuit and holds it until the switch is moved back to the neutral position which allows the camera to run instead of just phase.

This is the case for most of the Aaton's, 12v Arri film camera's and Panaflex cameras.

In the case of the XTR Prod, Xtéra and Penelope, Preston MDR's support a continues run/stop from the 8pin Lemo on the camera. 

I'm in the process of making a converter box for my Aaton that will allow momentary run/stop commands to work from a wireless follow focus. I'd be happy to share the results with you when it is finished. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2020 at 12:09 PM, Evan Walsh said:

Aaton's require continuous contact closure to run.

The rocker switch is a simple mom-off-on type of switch similar to a microforce run switch. The momentary side just briefly connects the start pin to ground which phases the camera. The on side of the switch  closes the circuit and holds it until the switch is moved back to the neutral position which allows the camera to run instead of just phase.

This is the case for most of the Aaton's, 12v Arri film camera's and Panaflex cameras.

In the case of the XTR Prod, Xtéra and Penelope, Preston MDR's support a continues run/stop from the 8pin Lemo on the camera. 

I'm in the process of making a converter box for my Aaton that will allow momentary run/stop commands to work from a wireless follow focus. I'd be happy to share the results with you when it is finished. 

Hi Evan, wanted to follow up on this post as I'm looking to make a similar controller to interface with my LTR7.
How did your remote start/stop feature work out?

cheers

Steve

4 hours ago, Steve Cutler said:

Hi Evan, wanted to follow up on this post as I'm looking to make a similar controller to interface with my LTR7.
How did your remote start/stop feature work out?

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I got it half working before I got sidetracked by work and completely forgot about it. 

The concept is simple, a relay that is activated when a flip flop circuit receives the momentary pulse from a FIZ unit that uses Arri style single pulse to start/stop cameras.

Sometimes it would work perfect, sometimes not at all, sometimes it would trigger the relay as I was inserting the the connector from the FIZ unit, that's about as far as I got haha. 

I'm sure someone more well versed in electronics could solve this far easier than me tinkering on nights and weekends.