Changing tent for LOMO tank?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for a changing tent or a method for a dark bag to use for loading the LOMO UPB-1a developing tank? I do not have a darkroom, and to black out windows every time I want to process would be a bit annoying. I’ve used my dark bag in the past and have always had loading mistakes due to it being so crammed in the bag (tank, spiral, and film box gets pretty crowded)

any tips or recommendations are very much appreciated, thanks!

-Derick 

• Premium Member

there is the series of  Harrison Film Changing Tents  - you can find them at places like B&H photo.  Biggest one is 48 inches by  28, and 19 high, but will fold away.  NOT Cheep.  the minilab ones may not collapse easily for storage, but would have solid sides which would be more rugged.

I did something similar as Todd, and it works great. Bought a very large changing bag (quite cheaply) off of Amazon. Made a square frame out of small diameter PVC pipes. The frame goes inside the changing bag.

Another addition is a board (I used OSB wood) that lies inside the frame, on the bottom of the changing bag. I put 2 nails in the board, one for a 100ft spool and one for the Lomo spiral. The nails fit inside the center of the spool and spiral, so they don't go anywhere while I'm turning the spiral to load the film onto it.

Works quite well, I'll see if I can make a photo later today ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the pipes are easily assembled and disassembled as well. Quite convenient and lightweight.

Edited by Baltasar Thomas
Small addition

• Premium Member

you can also use a blacked out cardboard box if not having anything better. If having a very large changing bag you could just use it over the box. Or black it out with black cloth or plastic on all sides and use sleeves on one side to handle the film

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, Derick Crucius said:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses so far.

would something like this work?: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41880-REG/Photoflex_AC_CROO1_Film_Changing_Room_25.html?&ap=y&smp=y

or would it be too small? I’m on a very limited budget and would prefer not to spend more than I have to. 

I bought one of these for a Lomo tank and it works OK. A little bit uncomfortable but you get used to it

• Premium Member
On 5/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, Daniel Klockenkemper said:

Look for a minilab dark box, meant for changing paper rolls in film lab print machines.  They're much more spacious than a changing bag.

This is exactly right.  Fuji Dark Box, model FDB12L - there was a moment in time, when minilabs all over the world were shutting down, where you could buy these by the pallet.  But track one down and you'll be happy.

Duncan