Could you use your Phone as a viewfinder?

I've been researching the small hd sidefinder. I love the design of how it's composed of a modular monitor one can use a flip screen. My only question is, why hasn't someone made a side finder for a phone. I-phone's can play 4k footage easily nowadays, and with most camera companies having their own proprietery apps to regulate camera settings externally, I don't see how this wouldn't be feasible. I was thinking if there was enough room, one could model and 3d print a casing for the I-phone so that it could fit inside a small HD viewfinder, or perhaps print a whole new setup entirely and use the scope from an old zacuto z finder. Just wondering if it's possible, good EVFs sure dont run cheap.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if the FP supports phone viewfinding, but for those that do it's usually best reserved for remote stuff, where you want to be somewhere away from the camera and get a rough idea of what's going on. One of the key problems with viewfinding is latency and lag, which makes operating very difficult. The phone apps tend to suffer from it quite badly, so I wouldn't recommend relying solely on it as a viewfinding solution.

I think in the short term you're probably going to have to live with the display on the camera, and put some funds together for something decent longer-term.

P