Best AC tools

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my end of year thesis about the tools helpful for ACs and I'm making a poll to know which are the most helpful tools for the ACs? 
If you could only take 5 tools with you, what would it be?
And also, do you know tools that are very specific to a specific job ? (like for example split diopters or tilt and shift lenses)

Thanks in advance, 

Arnaud Serexhe

Hi Arnaud,

When you say tools do you mean items like screw drivers and such?

The later part of the post about split diopters refers to equipment AC's would use rather than their basic tools they would bring.

• Premium Member

I’m not being sarcastic and I know everyone else will answer your question the way you meant it. But my answer is going to be Quickbooks. It’s as important as any other tool for the trade to run yourself as a freelance AC.  

G

1 hour ago, Arnaud Serexhe said:

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my end of year thesis about the tools helpful for ACs and I'm making a poll to know which are the most helpful tools for the ACs? 
If you could only take 5 tools with you, what would it be?
And also, do you know tools that are very specific to a specific job ? (like for example split diopters or tilt and shift lenses)

Thanks in advance, 

Arnaud Serexhe

the tools which you will need largely depend on the scope of the job and level of trust you have with your colleagues.
assuming this is a digital shoot, if you know that tomorrow's gig (or today's "need you here ASAP" replacement) is contained to a studio space with no exteriors/water/etc., then, you can probably squeeze by with the following.
for 2nd AC, and assuming your 1st AC is a good colleague and trusts you:
- slate pen, or any other marker and your dumb slate
- puffer
- kimwipes
- multitool
- roll of cloth tape
these are usually the contents of your toolbelt as a 2nd AC (i have left out a flashlight...you CAN get through the day without it)

for 1st AC, and assuming the DP trusts you:
- if there is no 2nd AC on the shoot, then all of the above plus
- tape measurer+disto, and definitely the flashlight (these 2 usually live in every 1st AC's belt)

but at some point in the day you will need other tools. since you have accepted the job, you have to make yourself and your boss look good. when i was a 2nd AC, if i accepted a daily call or a commercial/music video, i would always bring my:
- ditty bag, which had most of the tools we generally use
- weather bag (everything to protect camera)
- my personal bag of clothes depending on the shoot (ready for rain or winter, etc)
as a 1st AC i continue this practice. for short format work i bring those 3 bags.

for long format work, like features or tv series, you will need carts to organize tools and accessories.
these are doug lavender and team carts. he normally works in vancouver, so they have these amazing rain covers made for the carts, which we normally don't have a need for in toronto. but i saw these in prep and though they were very cool.
20191218_104840.jpg.c888a59625429403819a5d614ab6facb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Maybe I was not accurate in my question, but English is not my first language, so I apologize for that.

But I wanna know tools helpful for the focus, so it's tools helpful for the focus puller more than the AC (In Belgium, it's the same title)
And for tilt shift lenses or split diopters, it's the same, it's tools that can play with the focus to give something more to it 

Sorry to have expressed myself badly

• 3 weeks later...

I'm joining @Gregory Irwin in not being sarcastic, but the Robocup is ubiquitous with camera department:

https://www.amazon.com/ROBOCUP-Colors-Fishing-Wheelchair-Microphone/dp/B0065MYZGW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=robocup&qid=1590510334&sr=8-1

Seriously, you'll see it on every pulling station. Hell, I use it at home on my desk!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AJ Young said:

I'm joining @Gregory Irwin in not being sarcastic, but the Robocup is ubiquitous with camera department:

https://www.amazon.com/ROBOCUP-Colors-Fishing-Wheelchair-Microphone/dp/B0065MYZGW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=robocup&qid=1590510334&sr=8-1

Seriously, you'll see it on every pulling station. Hell, I use it at home on my desk!

Ha! I just bought it!

G