How do you store Grip & Rigging Equipment?

Sam Bignell

Hey Yall!

I'd love to grab a couple of classic Milk Crates like you have in the states but in the UK Milk crates of that type are simply not findable online and the only place I've found them they cost like £30 for just a crate and there 19" long they are massive

Other than useful boxes, what other techniques have y'all used to store gripping equipment? Would love to know idea!

Thanks

-Samuel

• Premium Member

Maybe get some stacking storage crates. They're reasonably expensive, but you can get transparent ones so as to be able to see what's inside, and if you buy a couple now they'll remain compatible as and when you become a huge grip company and need hundreds. The euro-sizes stack tidily, with even some stacking compatibility between different sizes as they're made in a variety of standard dimensions so that two smaller ones will often stack on a larger one, or two flatter ones will make up the same height as a taller one. Various carts and mobile racks are available for them.

Click images for info.

1563526435-94730700.jpg.e5e87dfd6841be9d3c778174656534d8.jpg

1564385172-30994600.jpg.16f4c2d0445ba2c2fbcd6b058dab2615.jpg

Other options:

Grey.

Transparent.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JD Hartman said:

Make them from wood.  Like the Apple Boxes.  Finger jointed corners are easy to mass produce with a simple jig.

I made a set of nesting apple boxes and just glued and pin nailed them. Works fine. You have to pay a bit of attention to the dimensions.

(Now I just need another 4 sets)

I like the stackability of the euro crates, though.

20 hours ago, AJ Young said:

I mean, milk crates are pretty standard. Maybe ask your local grocery store? Sometimes they're just throwing them away. ?

Grocery stores haven't sold milk in glass bottles in the UK for decades. Only doorstep deliveries are made in glass.

There are a few on ebay but they're not much cheaper than Euro crates.

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Mark Dunn said:

Grocery stores haven't sold milk in glass bottles in the UK for decades. Only doorstep deliveries are made in glass.

There are a few on ebay but they're not much cheaper than Euro crates.

To be fair, various types of plastic crates are used for various things, but as you point out, just get euro crates. They're not that dear.

Oh, and edit - there are compatible containers that actually are open sided to some extent, for instance.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 9:41 AM, Phil Rhodes said:

Maybe get some stacking storage crates. They're reasonably expensive, but you can get transparent ones so as to be able to see what's inside, and if you buy a couple now they'll remain compatible as and when you become a huge grip company and need hundreds. The euro-sizes stack tidily, with even some stacking compatibility between different sizes as they're made in a variety of standard dimensions so that two smaller ones will often stack on a larger one, or two flatter ones will make up the same height as a taller one. Various carts and mobile racks are available for them.

Click images for info.

1563526435-94730700.jpg.e5e87dfd6841be9d3c778174656534d8.jpg

1564385172-30994600.jpg.16f4c2d0445ba2c2fbcd6b058dab2615.jpg

Other options:

Grey.

Transparent.

I ended up getting 4 from Backstage carts they will keep me going for now but these look awesome to be honest! Stacking smaller ones on larger ones sounds useful already have ideas for that!

Thank you Phil!

23 hours ago, AJ Young said:

I mean, milk crates are pretty standard. Maybe ask your local grocery store? Sometimes they're just throwing them away. ?

They usually have weird incerts between the crates, Not quite the same thing but thanks sir!

On 5/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, JD Hartman said:

Make them from wood.  Like the Apple Boxes.  Finger jointed corners are easy to mass produce with a simple jig.

Thought of this, I did make some apple boxes just a few weeks ago, But they are very heavy