What kind of anamorphic adapter will give a full frame “3:2” sensor a 2.35:1, 2.39:, or 2.40:1 aspect ratio

I’m planning on purchaseing a sigma fp. They have a full frame aspect ratio of 3;2. I’ve haven’t been able to find any suitable anamorphic support that will work on at least a 35mm lens. Is their an equation to calculate anamorphic squeeze in relation to initial aspect ratio that will give you the end result. 

• Premium Member

Generally you have to do some cropping even if you shoot anamorphic unless your sensor or recorded sensor area is 1.20 : 1 and you use a 2X anamorphic to get 2.40.

The closest thing to getting 2.40 onto a 3:2 FF35mm sensor would be the Panavision Ultra Vista 1.65X anamorphic lenses, being used on "The Mandalorian". (3:2 is 1.5 : 1, so 1.5 x 1.65 = 2.475 : 1.)

The old Technirama format was 8-perf 35mm with a 1.5X anamorphic lens, so a 1.5 : 1 negative with a 1.5X squeeze, giving you a 2.25 : 1 image -- which was trimmed to 2.35 : 1 for CinemaScope prints and later to 2.20 : 1 for 70mm prints.

There are the Hawk 1.3X lenses and the Cooke 1.8X lenses.

• Premium Member

We had several pans with glass bottoms and mirrors below that had a tube dripping water into the pan with a light pointing down at it (I think blue-gelled blonde or redhead or something) but the best effect came from skipping a 1200w HMI PAR off of the pool surface itself, creating much bigger and sharper ripples.

jb39.jpg

• Upvote 1