I Know This Much Is True (HBO, Derek Cianfrance, Mark Ruffalo, 2 perf 35mm)

Adapted from Wally Lamb's masterpiece, started airing on Sunday. It's an epic about two brothers, both played by Ruffalo (who shot all his Dominick portions, then put on 30 pounds for six weeks to shoot all the Thomas portions, some CG trickery here and there), Thomas is schizophrenic, Dominick does his best to take care of him. 

The amazing Derek Cianfrance directs and writes all six episodes. Shot on gorgeous 2 perf 35mm by Jody Lee Lipes and blown up for the 2:1 ratio (which is as far as HBO was willing to go) which gives it an awesome texture, with the grain closer to 16mm at times (be warned, compression on cable has some issues with it ^^). It has a beautiful low con look to it (which I'm not big on usually but works beautifully here), a lot of long lens work with some zoom in there (Cianfrance and Lipes decided never or practically never to zoom OUT), long takes.

It looks and feels like a movie like, honestly, no show I've seen so far. Cianfrance refers to the show as a movie and I definitely see it. Being shot on film really helps a TON in making it feel that way too aside from the lushness on display. Between this and The Plot Against America, HBO is putting out amazingly cinematic TV. 

The material, for those who read the book, is pretty dark and moody though, definitely not for everyone, so be warned. The pilot is exactly how I expected it to feel and be like, beautiful stuff, Ruffalo is on fire and Cianfrance's voice is there from the first shot, so raw and gorgeous.

Edited by Manu Delpech

2 hours ago, Manu Delpech said:

Adapted from Wally Lamb's masterpiece, started airing on Sunday. It's an epic about two brothers, both played by Ruffalo (who shot all his Dominick portions, then put on 30 pounds for six weeks to shoot all the Thomas portions, some CG trickery here and there), Thomas is schizophrenic, Dominick does his best to take care of him. 

The amazing Derek Cianfrance directs and writes all six episodes. Shot on gorgeous 2 perf 35mm by Jody Lee Lipes and blown up for the 2:1 ratio (which is as far as HBO was willing to go) which gives it an awesome texture, with the grain closer to 16mm at times (be warned, compression on cable has some issues with it ^^). It has a beautiful low con look to it (which I'm not big on usually but works beautifully here), a lot of long lens work with some zoom in there (Cianfrance and Lipes decided never or practically never to zoom OUT), long takes.

It looks and feels like a movie like, honestly, no show I've seen so far. Cianfrance refers to the show as a movie and I definitely see it. Being shot on film really helps a TON in making it feel that way too aside from the lushness on display. Between this and The Plot Against America, HBO is putting out amazingly cinematic TV. 

The material, for those who read the book, is pretty dark and moody though, definitely not for everyone, so be warned. The pilot is exactly how I expected it to feel and be like, beautiful stuff, Ruffalo is on fire and Cianfrance's voice is there from the first shot, so raw and gorgeous.

I thought it was about Spandau  Ballet !.. 

• 2 weeks later...