How much difference between the Schneider Kreuznach f1.4/6-70 mm and f1.8/6-66?

Francesco Ragazzi

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed to death, but I couldn't find a clear answer in my searches on the forum. I recently acquired a serviced Beaulieu ZM4, which comes with the Schneider Kreuznach Optivaron f1.4/6-70. There seems to be a consensus however that the f1.8/6-66 (which came with the ZM2 if I'm not mistaken) is the better lens.

My question is thus: what are these differences precisely (softness or the edges, softness at some focal lengths, chromatic aberration, etc.), that make the 6-66 superior? And does it make a substantial difference in practice? I'm planning to use the camera for handheld and tripod work, primarily with low-grain ISO film (50 or 100), scanned at 2K (and maybe at 4K in the future).

Thank you very much!

Best,

Francesco.

• 2 weeks later...

Both lenses are sharp excellent lenses.  The main difference is the faster speed of the  F/1.4 lens and perhaps even more so, is that the Macro Close Focusing option can be set at most every focal length on the 6mm to 66mm, were as it's only on the wide angle end for the 6mm to 70mm..........and also that slight extra focal length range of another 4mm on the telephoto end...hardly any difference there.   The version of the 6mm to 70mm lens for the BEAULIEU 6008 and up had the #85A Filter built into the lens, as well as a zoom limiter switch for up to 40mm or up to 70mm.

So technical specs aside, it's really the practical application of using the 6mm to 66mm Schneider that makes it the more popular lens.  Being able to focus very close at any focal length instead of just at the wide angle end, is much better.  Especially when you can be a couple feet away or so from what you're filming or even several inches, whereas with the wide angle only, you have to get right within millimeters of the object.  Some have stated that the contrast on the 6mm-66mm seems snappier, but in my own tests, both lenses have performed well.  I still prefer the 6mm-66mm primarily for the full range macro capability.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Martin for this long reply.

I am bit perplexed about the macro range issue your raise however. The manual does not seem to bring this up (see picture attached), in it seems to explicitely specify that you can bring the zooming ring to a telephoto position in order to obtain different magnification ratios.

Maybe you are referring to the Zoom range limit knob (which limits the zoom to 40mm, to prevent going to far when handholding?). Or maybe I am missing something?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best,

Francesco.

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 14.42.24.jpg

Unless there is a 2nd version of the 6mm - 70mm Schneider lens for the BEAULIEU allowing the same Macro focusing feature at any Focal Length as with the 6mm - 66mm lens, this is all I know.   Examine the lens to see where the Macro feature is. On the 6mm - 70mm lens I have, the Macro feature is on the Wide Angle end, and by pressing the Macro button, allows the zoom ring to rotate beyond the 6mm setting into the Yellow Band which is the Macro Range.  Thus, the entire Macro Range is at the 6mm Wide Angle end of the zoom range only. Other than that, the above instructions you copied appear to be similar to the that for the 6mm - 66mm lens. If you own the 6mm - 70mm lens, examine the lens. Or if you plan to purchase it, examine the photos of it carefully, unless the seller can tell you specifically how the Macro feature works on that lens.

• Like 1

The macro feature at the wide end is also used for focussing the Schneider Aspheric ultrawide lenses.

The combo results in a 3,5mm lens, sharp and without distortion, at least with my Leicina 6-66 Optivaron.

Good luck,

Volker

On 5/28/2020 at 9:55 PM, Volker Bendt said:

Hello Francesco,

please let me know, if you are interested in an Schneider Aspheron Ultrawide lens.

It's size III for Variogon and Optivaron lenses, screw mount 62 and 67 mm.

Cheers,

Volker

Thanks Volker, I'll stick with the zoom for now, plenty to explore!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a Schneider ULW III for my Leicina's Optivaron 6-66.

If I set the ring to M (macro) I get a very blurred vision in the viewfinder. 

I have done tests where I shot with the ULW attachment with the ring set to normal (infinity) and the result was very blurry.

Has this happened to anyone before? @Volker Bendt Have you got footage of what you shot with the ULW on your Optivaron?

Thanks,

Arnaud

4 hours ago, Arnaud Lin said:

Hello,

I have a Schneider ULW III for my Leicina's Optivaron 6-66.

If I set the ring to M (macro) I get a very blurred vision in the viewfinder. 

I have done tests where I shot with the ULW attachment with the ring set to normal (infinity) and the result was very blurry.

Has this happened to anyone before? @Volker Bendt Have you got footage of what you shot with the ULW on your Optivaron?

Thanks,

Arnaud

Hallo Arnaud,

I don't have the manual for the Schneider/Nizo UWL III, but I've got the manual for the UWL I. As far as I know, the UWL I is for smaller lenses (E49 + E52), but there is no difference to the UWL III concerning the optical effect. May be the same procedure is needed for both accessories.

Did you already adjust the settings as described in the manual attached?

Best regards

Harald Vonhoegen

Schneider-Nizo-UWL-I_Manual__D-E-F.pdf