Reflex viewfinder eye relief?

Philip Forrest

I'm wondering if there is a fix for the eye relief of the reflex viewfinder. I wear glasses to correct astigmatism, I'm heavily left eye dominant (right eye is much worse) and I'm finding that I have to really mash my glasses up to the eyepiece of the 10x viewfinder on my REX 4. I'm sending it out soon for overhaul and if there is a fix for this to add eye relief to the exit pupil of the viewfinder, I'm wanting to get this done. I've been a still photographer for 20+ years and I've always just moved my eye around the viewfinder. Some cameras are better than others as well. These last few years I've been shooting with a couple Filmos and I don't worry about eye relief as much since the viewfinder is only used for composition (and the eye relief is pretty decent.) The reflex viewfinder of the Bolex is a completely different animal though, but since I'm used to using a reverse Galilean VF as on the Filmo, I may just use the reflex as a quick focus confirmation than close it up and shoot through the octameter (isn't this what Bolex had in mind anyway?) If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful. I scoured the forum and there aren't any posts specifically addressing this issue.

Thanks all,

Phil Forrest

I use to have the dimmer 10x viewfinder which switched out for the higher magnification of the more rare 13x viewfinder. I also wear glasses to correct astigmatism and other attributes but rarely wear them against the viewfinder as the diopter range is sufficient with my naked eye.  There may be a few craftsmen left that could fabricate a custom diopter that might also correct for astigmatism. Perhaps a friendly optometrist might be be able to help.  

• Premium Member

That is also my recommendation. Do try to adjust the ocular of your camera without glasses. If range too short, an additional element will help. The diopter value of your left eye correction would be of interest.

As you say rightly the reflex viewing system puts on strain. Looking through the reflex finder with the left eye has the advantage that you don’t squeeze your nose to the camera. It’s the other way around with the Octameter but the standoff bracket made for the stereo optics will give relief.