Memphis73

Hugo Currie

Hello friends

after many years I picked up my Brain super8 camera and discovered it had died a death

i replaced it with a Canon 814, but am concerned to put a roll though it again after the last one was basically developed as a very expensive clear frame. 

I am picking up new 625 batteries and am interested in whether I should rely upon the electronic eye of a 40 year old camera or whether I should run it in manual. 

all ideas welcome at this stage please - 

I'm not sure about the Canon 814 but here's what I can tell you. I shoot Super 8 using an Elmo Super 110 from the early 70's. The auto-meter is spot on any time I use it. The films I get back from the lab always project with good lighting and sharpness. It really depends on how the camera was stored, used, etc. Some camera electronics age better than others. In the case of my Elmo the light meter has aged quite well. I would shoot a test roll using the auto light meter and see what happens. Project your film and that should give you an idea if the meter is performing correctly. Or you could use a external meter and compare it side by side to the meter in your camera. In other words point both the external meter and the cameras meter at something and see what F-stops your getting from both. 

Edited by Shane C Collins