RX5 Diopter Issue

Aaron Martin @ OH

Hi -

I've been trying to set the diopter on a new-to-me RX5, and no matter what I do I cannot bring the grain on the prism into focus in the viewfinder. I've turned the adjustment ring as far as it will go in either direction and there is just no change in the image. 

Am I missing a step here? Does the diopter need to be serviced? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Aaron

• Premium Member

Does the eyepiece section telescope in and out when you adjust the ring? Make sure you’re turning the front ring with the mark, not the knurled rear ring which just locks the adjustment in place. Sometimes the adjustment ring can be very stiff or cracked and hard to adjust. Is there a screw in it or is it missing?

Got a photo?

I had this problem as well with my RX4. Someone had jammed the eyepiece in too far, which made it stick AND cracked the adjuster ring with the screw in it. I had to completely dismantle the eyepiece assembly and clean it (as well as the reflex finder) to get the ground glass into focus. I'll be getting that piece replaced when it goes in for service soon. Good luck.

Phil Forrest

20 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Does the eyepiece section telescope in and out when you adjust the ring?

-- this was the issue. The eyepiece is totally disconnected from the adjustment ring, but it does telescope in and out, so I was able to adjust the eyepiece manually and then lock it into place. 

Thanks for your help!

• 9 months later...

After fixing the non-telescoping viewfinder on my RX I now have the opposite problem: the screw on the adjustment ring will not tighten, so I can't lock the viewfinder into place and keep it from telescoping in and out. Nothing on the viewfinder appears cracked - any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Martin @ OH
duplicate sentence

• Premium Member
On 2/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, Aaron Martin @ OH said:

After fixing the non-telescoping viewfinder on my RX I now have the opposite problem: the screw on the adjustment ring will not tighten, so I can't lock the viewfinder into place and keep it from telescoping in and out. Nothing on the viewfinder appears cracked - any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Aaron

So you have the eyepiece type with a lock screw rather than a locking ring. 

When you say the lock screw won't tighten do you mean it keeps turning? Because that would suggest the threads are stripped and the unit needs replacing (or perhaps the threads could be repaired with a helicoil).