Clean and Disinfect your touch screens COVID-19

Tech Tips - Touch Screen Cleaning

Cleaning & Disinfecting TRU-Vu Touch Screens (COVID-19)

During these unprecedented times, it is crucial to stay up to date with any and all methods to stay healthy. Here at TRU-Vu, we value our customers’ health and safety. For this reason, we have put together some guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting TRU-Vu touch screen monitors without causing any damage to the screen or the monitor.

To begin with, it is important to distinguish cleaning from disinfecting. Cleaning removes dirt, germs, and impurities. While cleaning does help to reduce germs that can lead to infection, it does not kill the germs. Disinfecting utilizes chemicals to kill germs to reduce/eliminate the chance of infection.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states: “diluted housed bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective” for disinfecting surfaces to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Cleaning Guidelines

1. Prepare your touch screen for cleaning by powering down the device, if possible.
  2. Be sure to not get any liquids inside of the unit. To best avoid doing so, do not directly spray the monitor. Either use wet wipes, or spray/dampen a cloth and be sure to squeeze any excess moisture off. 
  3. Avoid using abrasive cloths, such as rags or paper towels, as they can spread lint and/or even damage the screen. Instead, use only non-abrasive cloths, such as soft lint-free cloth, in order to avoid scratching the monitor. 
  4. Avoid products that may cause discoloration, such as highly concentrated alcohol (>85%), non-diluted bleach or ammonia solutions. 
  5. Wipe the surface of the monitor gently in small circles, and then allow it to dry. Wash hands and discard the used gloves.

Disinfecting Guidelines

1. Prepare your touchscreen for disinfecting by powering down the device, if possible.
  2. Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with a disinfectant recommended by the CDC: a household bleach solution (1/3 cup of bleach per gallon of water) or Isopropyl alcohol (71% to 85% alcohol). Be sure to squeeze any excess liquid off of the cloth. Do not spray the solution directly onto the touch screen.
  3. Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully, as many require the surface to remain wet for a few minutes. Continuous wiping may be required. 
  4. Disinfect the surface by wiping it down gently in small circles, and then allow it to dry. Wash hands and discard the used gloves.

More information about disinfecting procedures for COVID-19 from the CDC can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cleaning-disinfection.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fprepare%2Fcleaning-disinfection.html

U.S. EPA-recommended disinfectants safe for touchscreens (including registration number):

• Clorox Disinfecting Wipes – Reg. No. 5813-79
  • Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes – Reg. No. 67619-12
  • Clorox Commercial Solutions Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes – Reg. No. 67619-25
  • Lonza Disinfectant Wipes – Reg. No. 6836-313
  • Lysol Brand Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner (20% cleaner solution to water ratio) – Reg. No. 777-89
  • Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes – Reg. No. 84150-1
  • Sani-Cloth Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipes – Reg. No. 9480-12

More information about recommended disinfectants for COVID-19 from the EPA can be found at: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

• NOTE: If the CDC-recommended disinfectants are not available, the best alternative is the use of:
  • Water and isopropyl alcohol (up to 85% alcohol)
  • Apply the solution to a soft cleaning cloth; do not spray directly onto the touch screen. Wear gloves during the cleaning process. Discard both the gloves and the cleaning cloth following the cleaning process.

Do NOT use the following materials when cleaning/disinfecting your touchscreen:

• Isopropyl Alcohol at concentration > 85%
  • Methyl Alcohol or Ethyl Alcohol at concentration > 35%
  • Thinner or benzine
  • Strong alkali lyes
  • Strong solvents
  • Acids
  • Detergents with fluoride
  • Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
  • Abrasive cleaners
  • Detergents with abrasives
  • Formula 409
  • Steel wool
  • Sponges with abrasives
  • Steel blades
  • Cloth with steel threads
  •  

If you have any questions, or require further assistance with cleaning your TRU-Vu touch screen monitor, please contact us at #847-259-2344, or at info@tru-vumonitors.com

Click here to learn more about Disinfecting and Cleaning Your Touch Screen.

About the Company:

TRU-Vu Monitors, Inc., is a leading supplier of LCD displays. We provide a wide range of customizable, industrial-grade LCD monitors and touch screens. This includes sunlight-readable and optically-bonded displays, as well as medical-grade displays. Our vast product line includes open frame, panel mount, and waterproof monitors and touch screen models with screen sizes from 7” to 65”.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they will come up with disposable screen covers you can peel off or sanitize without worries. I've used mini alcohol wipes on my tablet's screen for years and no problems. I clean with a alcohol wipe then wipe dry with a Kimwipe. This was before covid. The wipes do a nice job cleaning up fingerprints and dirt. But they only work for tablets and phones. Too small for monitors. You would need bigger wipes.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I didn't know that there was a problem with isoprop, so that's helpful, but it would help to point out that 70% isoprop isn't isoprop- it's a 70% solution of isoprop in water. The bottle I have for getting splicing tape and chinagraph residues off film is analytical grade, so it's as near pure as you can get.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Gotta test things, don't just do them blindly.

Alcohol does ruin some stuff. I had a post it note on a commercial DVD. The post it note left sticky residue on the DVD. I used an alcohol wipe on the DVD. Forgot is was not a silk screen printed DVD but was inkjet printed. The alcohol wipe messed up the inkjet image somewhat. 

I can only vouch for my pad which I think is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Cleaned it many dozen times with alcohol wipes. Perfect!

I also use the wipes for Epson sheet fed scanners. But the scan area is glass, so it is not an issue. And I use them for lens cleaning for the last 5 years. 

You can also try wearing plastic gloves with your touchscreen.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.