Damaged Scrims What Todo?

Sam Bignell

Hey Everyone

Scrims especially singles and doubles always seem like such fragile materials and extra care is always good for them, thankfully I've not damaged any as of yet but if your textiles gets damaged, other than attempting to sew new ones together yourself what other options are out there?

Are there any local UK companies that will happily rebuild textiles onto the frames you already own at a better cost than buying one all over again?

I haven't heard of any would love to know!

Thanks

-Samuel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yes. I assume you're talking about nets (I know scrims as metal wire inserts).

Interesting... Matthews used to have the option to re-cover frames. But it seems to be missing from history. Maybe due to COVID. They do have a fabric section I assume to re-wrap your frames yourself, although I've never done this; I've only ever sent them in for re-cover service. https://www.msegrip.com/collections/fabrics

For UK, I suggest to call local rental houses for contacts, as they probably have to re-cover frames now and then. And call grip or rag manufacturing companies in your country.

For example, grip companies in america are Modern Grip Equipment and Advantage Grip, both in addition to Matthews I've used for re-covers in the years.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, Stephen Sanchez said:

Yes. I assume you're talking about nets (I know scrims as metal wire inserts).

Interesting... Matthews used to have the option to re-cover frames. But it seems to be missing from history. Maybe due to COVID. They do have a fabric section I assume to re-wrap your frames yourself, although I've never done this; I've only ever sent them in for re-cover service. https://www.msegrip.com/collections/fabrics

For UK, I suggest to call local rental houses for contacts, as they probably have to re-cover frames now and then. And call grip or rag manufacturing companies in your country.

For example, grip companies in america are Modern Grip Equipment and Advantage Grip, both in addition to Matthews I've used for re-covers in the years.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Honestly such a great shout reguarding rental houses!!

• 1 month later...

If it wasn't cheaper to recover nets, silks and flags, rental house dumpsters would be full of old torn ones. Most will send them out for recover and will send yours along for a fee.

In the NYC tri-state area, I can't say enough about the recover work from HighLight Filmworks.

Pedro Hernandez Phgrip01@Aol.com