Most viewed music video shot on Super 8mm film: 'Daisies' by Katy Perry

I'm sure that some people watched it precisely because it was shot on Super 8. I'm sure that some people watched it because they like her music. And I'm sure that some people watched it because of the brief moments of nudity. ?

Katy Perry sets a record with her new hit for a music clip that was created entirely on Super 8.

https://www.super8.tv/en/video/most-successful-super-8-music-video-ever/

• Premium Member

Thanks for posting Karim.....pretty bold from her being pregnant etc and the look of the video is what it is and just goes to show people who know....know....film is special and unique and I only wish the leo Messi of cinematography world Roger Deakins shot film again to keep it alive for nobodies like me to be able to keep buying and shooting it

Edited by Stephen Perera

I have to say. I'm sorry but there is nothing special about this music video's quality. It's very amateur like, which I know that's the intention, but this has to be one of the lower quality s8 clips out there. I've seen much more cinematic lloking s8 tests on vimeo even.S8 doesn't have to look muddy and shaky to a point it doesn't add anything but rather gets annoying. To me, it comes off as some hipster shooting with a s8 camera for that wow cool effect. If I have to be perfectly honest here.

I find a lot of Super 8 a bit flat - not the image, the style. I think that because the camera is easily held by hand, people just stand and pan. They don't think to put it on a dolly or a gimbal. I don't think that shaky-cam is a good look. And I have seen better exposed footage. But maybe that's what Perry wanted, in which case, it's her call.

I absolutely love S8 and S16. I will be shooting more of it down the line. The cameras are cheap but the film and scanning are expensive!

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Giray Izcan said:

I have to say. I'm sorry but there is nothing special about this music video's quality. It's very amateur like, which I know that's the intention, but this has to be one of the lower quality s8 clips out there. I've seen much more cinematic lloking s8 tests on vimeo even.S8 doesn't have to look muddy and shaky to a point it doesn't add anything but rather gets annoying. To me, it comes off as some hipster shooting with a s8 camera for that wow cool effect. If I have to be perfectly honest here.

I agree. This thing has been tossed around the film groups on Facebook for a week now and I'm so over it. Absolutely nothing to see here. Who cares if some super famous musician had their boring music video shot on film. The hipster look doesn't make me wanna listen to the music anymore than if it was shot on 65mm. 

Very annoying. S8 can be remarkable but these people love the imperfections of the format... I never have any focus issues or shakes etc bc i treat it as a camera rather than a toy. I go for the colors and the tonality of the format. S8 could look like a painting almost if shot properly.

Edited by Giray Izcan
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I’m surprised no one from the Super 8 community here has mentioned Spike Lee’s beautiful Super 8 film about New York during the pandemic, a much more interesting celebrity effort than Katy Perry’s music vid, and a far better example of what Super 8 can look like when done well:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/spike-lee-new-york-new-york-sinatra-996192/

Spike mentions it was shot with cameras provided by Kodak.. whether that means the Kodak Super 8 camera promised so many years ago or something else I don’t know.

• Like 1

Giray, those stills look great.

Dom, thanks for sharing the Spike Lee film. I had not seen it before. It's mostly good, although he too makes the common mistake of a 1960s uncle asking the kids to stand still in front a movie camera. Seems that digital capture can't even compete with Super 8 when it comes to certain subject matter.

Maybe next time I go overseas I won't take photos, I'll take footage instead. Super 8, of course...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 1:23 PM, Todd Pinder said:

Anywhere to watch Spike Lee's short besides Insta? Also found only 360p on youtube, can't even watch it at that size.

Would love to see a full resolution version on Vimeo or Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...