Network (1976) directed by Sidney Lumet

• Premium Member

......I was 10 when this film came out and I must admit I don't remember it at all as we were gripped with Rocky fever.....so just watched it today for the first time......wow....what a fantastic film.....absolutely great.....nothing special in terms of cinematography as far as beauty goes but certainly special in the way it just serves the marvellous story......a solid 10/10 masterpiece for me......replace the effect of television the film satirises with the effect of social media and the age of narcissism we now live in....

William Holden is magnetic....Faye Dunaway....perfect....Peter Finch.....wow

Edited by Stephen Perera

It's a great movie, very well acted, scripted and directed.  The story may be a bit over the top, but sadly, each year that goes on seems more pausible, at least on Spanish television.

The cinematography by Owen Roizman is terrific, with his use of very low light levels -he claimed that a night scene at the office with Faye Dunaway and William Holden was lit using hidden 25w bulbs as the main source of light- wide open lenses and very shallow depth of field with 100 ASA film stocks. There's a scene at the beginning -at night on the street, just in front of the office building, when Holden is telling the story about his friend and the guy who thought he was about to commit suicide- that may have been shot at T1.1 on the Panavision Ultra Speed lenses, but it looks very natural and unlit, with a real night feeling.

It's a pity that Sidney Lumet, one of the greatest film directors ever, and Roizman, only worked together on this film, they seemed to suit each other very well. Or it was the second, if we consider that Roizman was Gerald Hirschfeld's assistant on FAIL SAFE (1964). 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/29/2020 at 10:58 PM, Ignacio Aguilar said:

It's a great movie, very well acted, scripted and directed.  The story may be a bit over the top, but sadly, each year that goes on seems more pausible, at least on Spanish television.

The cinematography by Owen Roizman is terrific, with his use of very low light levels -he claimed that a night scene at the office with Faye Dunaway and William Holden was lit using hidden 25w bulbs as the main source of light- wide open lenses and very shallow depth of field with 100 ASA film stocks. There's a scene at the beginning -at night on the street, just in front of the office building, when Holden is telling the story about his friend and the guy who thought he was about to commit suicide- that may have been shot at T1.1 on the Panavision Ultra Speed lenses, but it looks very natural and unlit, with a real night feeling.

It's a pity that Sidney Lumet, one of the greatest film directors ever, and Roizman, only worked together on this film, they seemed to suit each other very well. Or it was the second, if we consider that Roizman was Gerald Hirschfeld's assistant on FAIL SAFE (1964). 

Gracias por comentar Ignacio...como andas por Madrid cos las fases? vaya tela eh.....y si...novea Tele5 y Antena3 etc etc erre que erre con el mismo tema! Yo aunque soy de Gibraltar he estado en confinamiento en la provincia de Cadiz desde Marzo.....en mi casa en Alcaidesa

Thanks for a very informative contribution Ignacio.....I'm watching and re-watching all of Sidney Lumet's films as we speak.....I remember SERPICO being big film back in the 70s when I saw it albeit young....I remember my father going on about it....will report back and perhaps start a thread on Sidney Lumet when I watch them all.....

Hello Stephen, I'm doing well, hopefully the second part of the year will provide more chances to work!

My favourite Sidney Lumet's films are 12 ANGRY MEN (1957), THE PAWNBROKER (1964), FAIL SAFE (1964) and THE HILL (1965), which is absolutely brilliant and was shot here in Spain as well, in Almería. I also enjoy quite a lot DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975).

He was a great director, with a very clever use of camera angles and focal lenghts to suit every dramatic moment, and a extremely good actor's director.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, Ignacio Aguilar said:

Hello Stephen, I'm doing well, hopefully the second part of the year will provide more chances to work!

My favourite Sidney Lumet's films are 12 ANGRY MEN (1957), THE PAWNBROKER (1964), FAIL SAFE (1964) and THE HILL (1965), which is absolutely brilliant and was shot here in Spain as well, in Almería. I also enjoy quite a lot DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975).

He was a great director, with very a very clever use of camera angles and focal lenghts to suit every dramatic moment, and a extremely good actor's director.

Thank you I'm going to watch them all!!!!! I have not seen your recommendations! only from the 1970s forwards