Shutter Angles for Higher Frame Rates

Hey everyone, hope y'all are doing well and staying healthy. I had a question regarding shutter angles.

I've recently upgraded to a BMPCC 4K after shooting on Sony's A6000 mirrorless DSLR. This is my first cinema camera (even though it's not quite an Arri or RED) in the sense that many of the settings on the camera are similar to what one would find on a professional cinema camera. One of those settings in particular, is shutter angles. Coming over from a DSLR, I've been used to shutter speeds and choosing which ones to shoot at in accordance with the frame rate I was shooting at (i.e. 24fps at 1/50, 60fps at 1/125). How does that translate over to shutter angle when shooting at higher frame rates such as 48fps, 60fps, 90fps, and 120fps? I've been shooting a lot of music videos lately which often requires me to shoot for slow motion, but obviously I still want a realistic amount of motion blur when the footage is slowed down in post.

I know the general rule of thumb, particularly when shooting at 23.98fps of 24fps is to keep the shutter angle at either 172.8 degrees or 180 degrees. But how does that change as a push to higher frame rates? 

• Premium Member

Generally you would stick to the 180 degree shutter angle setting for slow-motion shots unless you wanted some unusual motion blur -- I've seen some sports commercials shot (in bright sunlight) at very high frame rates with a 45 degree shutter angle to get very crisp motion.

If your new camera gives you the option, I would change it shutter speed, if thats what your used to , I think thats easier to work out 180 degrees and to avoid flicker .. you don't have to work in angles .. 

I would agree with the above .. unless you want an effect, go with 180, or close if you need to factor in flicker .. also if you then want to ramp, you have the right motion blur ..