how to repair arris 16s variable speed motor?

steven jackson

Hi, Anyone have any experience servicing an arri variable speed motor for a 16s?  The motor works fine but the shaft has a small amount of play that causes the motor to block and stop.  I would like to open it up and see if there is anything I can do to remedy this, but don't want to destroy the motor taking it apart.  Removing the two long screws at  the shaft end does not seem to allow me access.  any ideas??  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Could you post some pictures of the variable speed motor?

I can tell you what I have done. From ebay, I purchased a not working, for parts only arri variable speed motor, the kind you twist the grip enhanced case to change the speed. I think I got one for $15.00 and just took it apart.  They are tedious to disassemble. The inch knob has to come off, the two long bolts have to come off, the little ball on the shaft that drives the motor has to come off.  You have to be delicate in pulling things apart, as I recall. The brushes on the motor shaft are spring loaded and while they will not fly out across the room, they can be bent if not carefully removed. It take much patience.