What size mattebox do I need?

I'm looking to get a mattebox. I suspect I will need a 4x5.65 or larger mattebox, but I want to keep it as small and affordable as possible. If I could get away with a 4x4 mattebox I would. Unless there's a 4x5.65 mattebox that is almost as small and still good. Until now I have been getting away with screw-on filters, which is my preference, but there are too many sizes for it to remain practical.

I will be using mostly Zeiss standard speeds from 16mm to 85mm, but also a Tegea 9.8mm and maybe renting Cooke Speed Panchros or similar lenses. I also have an Angeniuex 12-240mm zoom for S16 (it doesn't cover fully but close enough) but I've tried this with a 4x4 filter and it works okay. (I also use it with a 2x expander and it covers S35.)

With K35s, the 18mm t1.5 has a 110mm front I believe? So would you need a 6X6 mattebox for that? Thanks. How do I know without buying/returning/etc. what I can get away with. I suppose I'd want a two-stage mattebox. I often want to use ND and Classic Soft together. The more stages the more worry over vignette, though?

Lastly, any recommendations for NDs for digital? There are Arri FSND, Schneider Rhodium, Lindsey Optics, TrueND, etc. but they're all kind of expensive.

Edited by M Joel W

Also, if I can only afford half-strengths (0.6, 1.2, 1.8) to start, would it make sense to complement them with a 0.3 and stack them? I suppose I wouldn't be using Classic Softs that much. The Tegea also has a 2x2 filter tray so I suppose I can go without the mattebox when I use it.

What's your budget? Good matteboxes and filters aren't cheap, but they will last for at least a decade if you treat them right.

The ARRI LMB-15 or LMB-5 is one of my favorites. Lightweight and easy to adapt to your specific lens diameter. It can be a 2-stage or 3-stage mattebox. It has a modular design, so changing the diameter of the clamp on or stage depth is easy even on set. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341053-REG/arri_kk_0015176_lmb_4x5_15mm_lightweight.html

I've been quite impressed by Bright Tangerine's Misfit matteboxes and I've read that the Mistfit Kick mattebox is stellar (LINK). It's also the most affordable of matteboxes, especially compared to ARRI, Oconnor, etc. https://www.brighttangerine.com/

Filter wise, avoid Formatt and Firecrest. They've got a green cast to them and I'm not happy with the results. Schneider and Tiffen are fantastic.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:24 AM, AJ Young said:

What's your budget? Good matteboxes and filters aren't cheap, but they will last for at least a decade if you treat them right.

The ARRI LMB-15 or LMB-5 is one of my favorites. Lightweight and easy to adapt to your specific lens diameter. It can be a 2-stage or 3-stage mattebox. It has a modular design, so changing the diameter of the clamp on or stage depth is easy even on set. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341053-REG/arri_kk_0015176_lmb_4x5_15mm_lightweight.html

I've been quite impressed by Bright Tangerine's Misfit matteboxes and I've read that the Mistfit Kick mattebox is stellar (LINK). It's also the most affordable of matteboxes, especially compared to ARRI, Oconnor, etc. https://www.brighttangerine.com/

Filter wise, avoid Formatt and Firecrest. They've got a green cast to them and I'm not happy with the results. Schneider and Tiffen are fantastic.

Thanks. I've had similar experiences with NDs but I've read other people have had issues with some less expensive Schneider filters.

The Misfit mattebox is at the top of my budget, so that makes that decision easier. 

What are the 6X6 matteboxes even for? I'm assuming 4X5.65 will be good for anything except ultra ultra wides and crazy zooms?