Nikon 8x Super Zoom, how do I change the aperture?

Esteban Araya

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Nikon 8x Super Zoom from a thrift store as is. It didn't have any of the battery latches so I was able to rig the main one and the camera works! (Well at least the film advances)

The battery compartment for the light meter I can't fix, so I thought it wasn't that big of a deal since I can just use a handheld meter, but after looking online for a while I can't figure out how to change the aperture manually. This might seem like a dumb question, but I see no knobs or buttons for it, or an aperture ring. I have no idea what aperture it is set at now. 

I never used a super 8 camera before so I am unfamiliar with the format. Thanks so much! 

I found this sales brochure that Nikon put out when this camera was new. I circled the switch (orange) where you can change the aperture from automatic to manual mode. That dial probably rotates so you can set the f-stops. Hope this helps. 

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 8.12.09 AM (1).jpg

Also you should be able to see the f-stop numbers when you look through the viewfinder. Once the dial is free to turn, look through the viewfinder and rotate this dial until you see the f-stops change. There's probably a line or arrow that points to the current setting. 

Edited by Shane C Collins

Here's another screen-shot from the brochure. It shows the viewfinder with f-stop numbers. However it doesn't indicate whether there's an arrow or something similar that points at the current f-stop. I'd say once you rotate to manual mode, and look through the finder at the same time, while rotating, you'll figure that out. 

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 8.56.15 AM.jpg

Thanks! So I'm turning the dial but in the viewfinder there is no indicator that shows you the aperture. Maybe it uses lights to show you the aperture and that's why it's not showing up without the battery. But thank you for your help!

Sadly, the aperture setting is controlled via the Light Meter Batteries....so it needs power to move the aperture vanes, and thus display the needle over the set value in the viewfinder display.  Only some Super 8mm cameras have a mechanical linkage to the aperture vanes and display value, which doesn't require any batteries.   This is one of the reasons I like the CHINON made GAF ST-xxx cameras, which have a mechanical dial on top of the camera to physically set the aperture, regardless of whether or not there's any battery power.  So even if the light meter doesn't work on these cameras, they can still be used in Manual Exposure Mode.  Sorry about your NIKON.  Perhaps you could run a power supply to the meter somehow via tapping into the wires leading off from the battery chamber, and the might work to allow you to adjust the aperture (galvanometer) manually.

17 hours ago, Martin Baumgarten said:

Sadly, the aperture setting is controlled via the Light Meter Batteries....so it needs power to move the aperture vanes, and thus display the needle over the set value in the viewfinder display.  Only some Super 8mm cameras have a mechanical linkage to the aperture vanes and display value, which doesn't require any batteries.   This is one of the reasons I like the CHINON made GAF ST-xxx cameras, which have a mechanical dial on top of the camera to physically set the aperture, regardless of whether or not there's any battery power.  So even if the light meter doesn't work on these cameras, they can still be used in Manual Exposure Mode.  Sorry about your NIKON.  Perhaps you could run a power supply to the meter somehow via tapping into the wires leading off from the battery chamber, and the might work to allow you to adjust the aperture (galvanometer) manually.

Thank you for the explanation! I might try something like that. In the meantime do you know what aperture it would be at by default? Because if I know at least I could still go out and shoot under specific conditions that would be okay with that aperture.

Thanks!

Usually the aperture setting defaults to the full wide open F/1.8 setting, when there isn't any power to move the aperture vanes. However, you can run the camera and just look thru the film gate to see if the aperture is closed or fully open.  If you can't see the F-Stop Needle on the scale in the viewfinder display, then it's fully in one direction or the other, most likely fully open. Place a small square mirror or even glass at an angle behind the film gate and you should be able to see the reflection of the light path thru the gate and the lens. Even a square of white card stock will work, just have a bright light source aimed at the lens so you can see the gate image on the paper.

A camera without a working light meter, whether it be the auto-exposure or manually setting the aperture is not something you really want to use. With the cost of film these days you really need a reliable camera that has a working meter. It makes filming so much easier. There are hundreds of good working Super 8 cameras for sale these days. If this was me I'd start looking for a better camera. I can highly recommend the Elmo Super 110. This is a nice camera to use. Dates from the early to mid 70's. No separate light meter batteries to worry about. I've shot several rolls of Ektachrome 100D color reversal in this camera and the results are stunning! Also one of the quietest cameras you will find. Anyways that's my honest opinion. You did indicate it was a thrift store find so you must have not paid all that much for it? 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, Martin Baumgarten said:

Usually the aperture setting defaults to the full wide open F/1.8 setting, when there isn't any power to move the aperture vanes. However, you can run the camera and just look thru the film gate to see if the aperture is closed or fully open.  If you can't see the F-Stop Needle on the scale in the viewfinder display, then it's fully in one direction or the other, most likely fully open. Place a small square mirror or even glass at an angle behind the film gate and you should be able to see the reflection of the light path thru the gate and the lens. Even a square of white card stock will work, just have a bright light source aimed at the lens so you can see the gate image on the paper.

Thanks for all the help!!