Source 4 Ellipsoidal on 1200w HMI?

Ive used the Source 4 Ellipsoidal attachment for Hive Wasp 250s and really liked that functionality for my work.  Wasps are roughy similar to 575w HMI.  

I'd like some more output from it though.  Has anyone ever used the same S4 attachment on an arrisun, LTM or Desisti 1200w HMI?  Seems like it should work the same but I haven't tried myself.  Not sure if it would be too hot, although the S4s can handle 750w tungsten and Altmans run up to 1k, so they are made to withstand some heat...

Heres a pic below of what the hive+S4 combo look like:

hive_lighting_wpp_ls4k_wasp_250_plasma_l

• Premium Member

Joker 800 is the brightest HMI you can put behind a Source-4 fixture. I once asked ETC why they didn't make a Jo-Leko 800W HMI themselves and they said that the after-market conversion technically produced too much heat internally to pass things like UL regulations or their own heat ratings.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I didn't even know there was a 1600W Joker... jeez, that would make the Leko hot, it would be as bright as a Broadway follow spot too...

Brighter, probably. A lot of theatrical follow spots are driven by 1200W HMIs. Even the Strong Super Trouper is only a 2000W device, and it's driven by a Xenon short arc which has considerably poorer luminous efficacy than HMI. 

The Source Four would have a significantly more restrictive optical path, which might go some way to making up the difference; this sort of light has an f number too, and they generally have a much larger diameter than a Source Four.

Also they're made of alloy castings which can melt. And Strong Lighting do make the Gladiator, which is a 4000W Xenon, if you really want to go for it.

Glad_Smll.png

11 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I didn't even know there was a 1600W Joker... jeez, that would make the Leko hot, it would be as bright as a Broadway follow spot too...

It's incredibly bright! I used one for a beauty commercial where we needed a hard key light from above camera for 240fps. I believe it took 45-60 minutes for the unit to cool down for disassembly.