Old Arri daylight?

Old Arri Apollo fresnels have actually got better photometrics than newer Compact and D-series thanks to bigger lenses. Color depends solely on the globe, and these lights use the ubiquitous double-ended HMI.

Beware of old Arrisuns - the 575 with a PAR36 and the 1200 with a PAR64 lamp. Both globes are extremely rare and a conversion to MSR is usually not worth it.

• Premium Member

I'm not familiar with the specific lights you mention, but older HMIs are likely to use a magnetic ballast. This means they may flicker at certain frame rates, though they're still usable with care.

P

8 hours ago, Michael Rodin said:

Old Arri Apollo fresnels have actually got better photometrics than newer Compact and D-series thanks to bigger lenses. Color depends solely on the globe, and these lights use the ubiquitous double-ended HMI.

Beware of old Arrisuns - the 575 with a PAR36 and the 1200 with a PAR64 lamp. Both globes are extremely rare and a conversion to MSR is usually not worth it.

Thanks Michael and great informations.  I don't know exactly what the name is, but what I mean in this picture 

Screenshot_20200601_180308.jpg

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Ahmed Dhahyan said:

Thanks for your attention Phil. Yes You're right , that's what I want to know. When I want to footage 24fps it's any problem with old ballast. Actually I'm no need more than a 24fps 

Should work just fine at 24fps.

It's an old light though. Service, parts, and possibly even bulbs may be difficult to get your hands on. So it's important to keep that in mind. Nothing wrong with old lights that work though.

I was looking for solutions that advance daylight beautifully and perfect at medium cost. LTM Cinepar He was in my interest but also Most of them are consumed. 

absolutely we should have a good budget when we looking forward to HMI a good. 

I liked alpha and joker, i don't know but I feel something different with those groups. 

15 hours ago, Ahmed Dhahyan said:

Thanks Michael and great informations.  I don't know exactly what the name is, but what I mean in this picture 

It's an Apollo 6000. I'd inspect the springs that hold the globe - they get cracked sometimes.

That ballast was made by IREM of Italy. As far a I remember, there were even two-phase (2L+N+PE) balasts in the wild. Is your one- or two-phase?

The old arri HMI fresnells are great lights. I used to have 4 6ks, 6 4ks, and 3 or 4 2500s. The magnetic ballasts work just fine as far as you play by the rules as far as frame rates go. They are also really, really reliable. I did a shoot in Europe for 6 months. We shipped a container of these old HMIs over there and ran them nonstop in the sleet and rain, and they never missed a beat. Light quality is excellent. They are quite happy to run on modern electronic ballasts as well. 

They are big and heavy, but a 4k can be put up on a stand by one guy if you do it right. Put the light on the ground with the yoke parallel to the ground, put the yoke in the stand, and walk it up from the head. Definitely easier with two guys, but doable.

The quality of light out of a big fresnel is hard to beat.

Nick

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:01 AM, Nick Gardner said:

The old arri HMI fresnells are great lights. I used to have 4 6ks, 6 4ks, and 3 or 4 2500s. The magnetic ballasts work just fine as far as you play by the rules as far as frame rates go. They are also really, really reliable. I did a shoot in Europe for 6 months. We shipped a container of these old HMIs over there and ran them nonstop in the sleet and rain, and they never missed a beat. Light quality is excellent. They are quite happy to run on modern electronic ballasts as well. 

They are big and heavy, but a 4k can be put up on a stand by one guy if you do it right. Put the light on the ground with the yoke parallel to the ground, put the yoke in the stand, and walk it up from the head. Definitely easier with two guys, but doable.

The quality of light out of a big fresnel is hard to beat.

Nick

nice experience Nick, absolutely this is a matter that needs to be identified what we want to do. I think old arri HMI right for me, but I should be to change magnetic to new ballast 

3 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Bear in mind the ballasts are expensive; I'm not sure that buying a light with a magnetic ballast and replacing it with a more modern one would be very cost-effective.

Yes, of course it's very expensive, but so I can run 6k safely and easily, it needs that. That really requires thinking