Aaton mount primes

Could someone suggest some cheap but solid prime lenses that come in Aaton mount? I'm looking at switching from a c-mount system and realized that you can't adapt c-mount lenses to aaton mount. Looking for wider (10-25mm) prime lenses. Is there anything comparable to Switar 10mm or 16mm lenses? So far I've only seen some somewhat expensive zoom lenses. If it makes any difference this is for use on an Eclair ACL II. Cheers!

Edited by Jordan Beard
added camera system

Does your camera have the original TS-mount or has the camera been modified to have an Aaton mount? If you only use Aaton-TS -adapter, you could buy another adapter, for example Arri S adapter. Those lenses don't seem to be too expensive...

Other option is to use C-mount adapter and something like Contax Zeiss in Contax Yashica mount. The downside is that wide end 10mm/16mm isn't really available or costs the same as PL-mount primes.

Edited by Heikki Repo

Jordan, can you post a picture or two of the lens mount on your camera?  I think that would go a long way towards clearing up the confusion.  

I've seen the ACL's base lens mount referred to in a few different ways.  It's been called both a TS mount and a CA-1 mount.  Curiously, Chrosziel still uses a version of this mount on their TP6 lens projector, referring to it as "Eclair C-Mount" and "Full Frame C-Mount" (both of which are not correct at all, since the actual C-mount is eliminated in order to have a wider projection opening).  Because of this, you can purchase new lens adapters from Chrosziel for PL mount or EF mount that are quite expensive, but presumably of exceptionally good quality.  

It'd be very unusual to permanently convert the camera mount, since the TS adapter system is quite robust.  

acl-later-mount.jpg

acl-ca-1-to-c-mount.jpg

I've asked the seller (I haven't bought the ACL II yet) to send me more pics of the mount but this the best photo I have at the moment, sorry it's such low quality. He's under the impression that the mount was permanently modified by Lee Bosher in the UK, but isn't 100% sure. Can you tell from this photo if it's a permanent mount or a removable mount screwed onto the original TS mount?mount.thumb.jpg.a20a14d3a8ea1c50efb8325731839a70.jpg

The quality of that picture is quite bad - most of the inside of the mount just disappears into the image compression!

But I'm going to hazard a guess that the Aaton mount is a removable adapter.  The thing that catches my eye is that slim metal lever at about 1 o'clock, behind the clamp ring.  The clamp ring, with its square-ish lever, positively locks the lens to the mount...  What purpose could that other lever serve, if not to loosen the TS mount tightening ring?  It would make sense because the physical space is limited; it'd be difficult to remove the mount without the lever.  

It also makes sense because permanently converting the mount is probably more work than making an adapter, and would negate one of the best things about the camera.

Edited by Daniel Klockenkemper

• Premium Member

Daniel answered as I was writing, with a similar conclusion:

It’s a bit hard to tell, but there is a lever poking up behind the Aaton mount that might be to help unscrew the TS lock ring. A better pic of behind the mount would help, or ask the seller if they can unscrew anything back there.  I guess it’s possible someone asked for a permanent Aaton mount, but it’s unlikely Les Bosher would have needed to machine anything on the camera so an original TS intermediate mount could probably be re-fitted if it was removed. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Klockenkemper said:

Curiously, Chrosziel still uses a version of this mount on their TP6 lens projector, referring to it as "Eclair C-Mount" and "Full Frame C-Mount" (both of which are not correct at all, since the actual C-mount is eliminated in order to have a wider projection opening).  Because of this, you can purchase new lens adapters from Chrosziel for PL mount or EF mount that are quite expensive, but presumably of exceptionally good quality.  

All the older Chrosziel lens projectors also used the Eclair TS system to adapt to various mounts, and there are rental houses that would still probably have them along with the adapters (two rental houses I’ve worked for still have them). Those projectors are now somewhat obsolete because the transition to full frame cameras and lenses required upgrading to larger lens projectors. So rather than buy a very expensive adapter new from Chrosziel, I would suggest calling or emailing some rental houses to ask if they have an old Chrosziel lens projector and whether they might sell one of the adapters. Les Bosher also makes these adapters. A Nikon or Arri Bayonet one would give you a lot of affordable options. 

Alternatively, lenses in Aaton mount can sometimes be a bargain because they aren’t easily adapted to PL, but you might find the choices a bit limited.

Or wait and buy another ACL that maybe comes with other adapters.

Hopefully it will just unscrew. At first I thought, looking at the photo,  it was maybe an adapter screwed into the C mount, but then why the little lever. The diameter looks big enough to hide the TS lock ring.

There are one or two (perhaps literally) ACLs around that have had an Aaton hard mount installed. I almost bought one. It was remounted by a famous Aaton tech who also worked on Eclair. I couldn't find a photo unfortunately, but I think it looked different to the picture above.

Gregg.

• 3 years later...

Hello guys ?
I bought a 12-120mm angénieux which was supposed to be c mount but it ended up being cameflex... ;( And long story short, I can't return the lens 'cause it's too late ; i saw on ebay to adapters (one 230 euros with shipping) for a cameflex to M4/3 (locking system) ; or a cheaper but 85 euros cameflex to m4/3 adapter (screws system) ; I'm a bit broke, i wanted to check with you first if any of you would have a spare adapter to sell. I live in France. Voilà, thx for your help or any tips.