Local 600 Membership - Digital Loader

Hello All,

I’ve begun the process to join Local 600 as a Digital Loader. I understand that the first step is being placed on the Industry Experience Roster by proving either 100 Days Union/Non-Union over 3 years or 30 Union Days in 1 year. 

Now, I’m confused about two things after talking with a rep from Local 600 and just wanted some real world stories.

1. Local 600 only recognizes classification “Loader”. Does Digital Loader fall under that same classification? If I joint as a Loader, could I be hired for offloading/backing up footage or is this straight film loading (celluloid)? 

2. I reside in Washington State. I was told that there’s a specific caveat for Loaders being placed on the IER. They need to be LA based meaning any/all my days won’t qualify because they weren’t worked in LA or I’m not from LA and sent to Washington State. Any clarity here would be appreciated.

I tried emailing Contract Services but they never replied. I finally got someone on the phone today but they wouldn’t connect me to a Roster personal and they couldn’t answer my questions well (weird huh).

I’ve heard and read that Contract Services is the main hurdle and I’m finding that to be true.

any help from Local 600 members and specifically Loaders that are west coast but not directly in LA would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Premium Member

Hi Maurice, 

Have you tried posting on the IATSE Contract FB Group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/2012ContractTalk/?ref=share

Here in the SF Bay Area, there is also a Camera Department private group that is used to discuss these things. Maybe there is something similar for the Pacific Northwest area? 

Sorry I can’t be of more help - unlike many of my colleagues, I never joined 600. But of the many non-LA based West Coasters I have spoken to, most have been extremely frustrated with Contract Services.