Old Super 8 Sync System Question

Noah Henderson

I've been experimenting with old Sync Sound Super 8 systems and am seeing what's possible now with digital transfers. There's the early Bell and Howell Filmosound system where a cassette recorder plugs into compatible cameras and the audio is recorded onto a tape. Then the tape deck is plugged into a filmosound projector and (if you shoot reversal) then you can project back image with the tape deck syncing up as well. My question is can this be transferred digitally using the rapid sync pulse that is recorded onto the other side of the tape as you record audio?

Is there a program, or plugin or someway of having this audible sync pulse control the playback speed of the footage? From what I understand originally the tape deck would have controlled the playback speed of the projector, but when I have the film scanned frame by frame for transfer that would lock it into a constant framerate instead of being variable like it would be through the projector.

On the higher end side of things, if I have one of the old Super 8 INC Sound Recorders and record audio onto fullcoat while having the recorder plugged into my camera, is syncing digitally any easier than it would be with the Bell and Howell system? (besides the fact that full coat would be way better quality)

TLDR: Can I have a sync pulse control the playback speed of a digital transfer?

(Oh also I'm searching for one of the fullcoat recorders if anyone has a lead!)

I think syncing digitally these days is easier.

If you keep the shots short and put a clapper board on the beginning and end of each shot - it's easy to time stretch your audio in an DAW to match the shot and in most cases it won't drift as long as the camera speed is constant throughout the shot. Having a reference point at the start and end of each shot takes the guesswork out of it. It's also possible to eye match sync if your careful.

You don't want a situation where the speed of the film is dictated by the audio - then you risk ending up with footage at a non standard framerate. Its easy to adjust the audio to different speeds and with good post tools it will sound pretty transparent as well

Also I'd avoid audio systems that record on cassette tape - it's not going to sound very good. Your going to get vastly better results of a cheap digital recorder and a bit of effort in post.