I guested on a Podcast grilling the camera industry

Max Field

• Premium Member

Slightly unfair characterisation of the Leia display on the Hydrogen phone, which is better than a 3DS. To some degree. Ahem. And no Canon mount, no idea where that came from, the guy was misinformed. But the whole thing was a poorly-thought-out idea which goes to show that people who have one idea that goes well are quite capable of making questionable decisions thereafter.

I'd hesitate to call H.264 "viewing-only." I know what you mean, but XAVC and AVC Intra as used on Sony and Panasonic professional cameras are H.264.

5D 2 didn't really skip lines. It grabs oddly-shaped clusters of pixels. This was actually smart, because it made the aliasing less bad, although the whole approach can fairly be characterised as a kludge. Give 'em a break; they really had no idea what they'd created. It was for stills snappers to shoot news video for Reuters.

You can put a PL mount on a Canon if you really want to You end up pulling out the mirror shutter (so you could probably put one on an EOS R camera without too much trouble.)

As to Amira, be careful what you wish for. They have many of the problems of Alexa in terms of power consumption, startup time and heat, and they're tremendously big and heavy. Put an appropriate super-35 zoom on the front and it's a two-man lift. And given it's still a sub-4K camera, it's not quite clear what you're getting for all that, unless you're seriously into the Arri pictures. For many jobs, you'd be better off with an Ursa Mini most of the time (add the Rawlite OLPF and Wooden Camera power distro.)

Resolve puts everything in an SQL database, and yes, that is a large tub filled to the very brim with bovine ordure.

The greatest truism in this is the hint that all cameras are basically now plausibly good and people need to learn how to light.

9 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

The greatest truism in this is the hint that all cameras are basically now plausibly good and people need to learn how to light.

Maybe a little more back story from me is involved, where I have a health condition of stress related migraines which would always pop up on shoots with heavier, high-maintenance cameras like the Arri Alexa or RED One. I romanticize the t4i as it was my period of shooting where the image wasn't spectacular but god was it easy to shoot with.

9 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

5D 2 didn't really skip lines. It grabs oddly-shaped clusters of pixels. This was actually smart, because it made the aliasing less bad, although the whole approach can fairly be characterised as a kludge. Give 'em a break; they really had no idea what they'd created. It was for stills snappers to shoot news video for Reuters.

I was complimenting them for doing this. I would like a visual demonstration of the oddly-shaped clusters. It just seemed like a vertical squish with certain biases here and there when I did side-by-side tests.