Using a Samsung tablet for nature audio recording

Patrick Cooper

I'm considering using a Samsung Tab 3 for recording audio of bird calls out in the wilderness. I just hope I can get hold of a good app that allows manual adjustment of levels and recording to formats like Flac or WAV etc. I plan to make a parabolic dish (or adapt something already existing that has the basic shape and size) and use an omni-directional microphone with it. I would also like to use headphones to help monitor the sound.

Though here's my dilemma. There is only one 3.5mm jack on this tablet. Is there some way that I could connect headphones and microphone simultaneously? I admit I don't know much about audio and what kind of options are available. I don't suppose there would be something like a splitter cable that would allow two different devices to be connected?

11 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

USB Microphone?

Great suggestion. I didn't consider that. I think it's something like a micro usb or something like that - I wonder how common omni mics are with that kind of usb. I guess usb adapters are available but they don't always seem to work for me.

By the way, Ive also been intrigued with the idea of using a microphone with XLR attachment and connecting it to a tablet or similar device with an XLR to 3.5mm adapter. Though do some of these kinds of mics have additional power requirements or something like that? I thought I recall reading about that. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Most condenser mics need external phantom power, dynamic mics don't need external power. Condenser mics are typically more sensitive, so better for recording atmospherics.

USB mics usually take their power from the USB port. 

On the budget end, a Rode Smartlav+, is a small omi lapel mic for Phone/tablet use that could be adapted to your purposes. If you use a 3.5mm connection for your mic, maybe it's possible to use Bluetooth wireless headphones for monitoring.

But to be honest it's a bit of cludge to jerry rig audio recording on a tablet, for anything more then the most basic purposes. Once you start spending on XLR and phantom power adapters - it's probably easier and cheaper to just get a dedicated field recorder.

You could probably pick up a secondhand Zoom, Tascam, Merantz or similar field recorder on ebay for around $100 if your patient. 

Thanks for the recommendation for the Rode Smartlav+. Judging from a youtube video I watched, it looks like it performs well outdoors amidst background noise. So should be even better in a parabolic dish. Ive also seen some other attractive options that are cheaper than the Rode.

Yea I know a tablet is going to be awkward at times. Though it will be used for fairly basic stuff (mostly nature sounds.) Though with regards to bird calls, I'm just hoping that the feathered animal would remain singing for a decent duration. I could visualise that a fair amount of time would be spent fiddling with the recording app (adjusting levels etc) before I actually start recording.

Edited by Patrick Cooper