Best method for exposing for an interior scene while maintaining an image through windows?

Here's a question regarding artistic choice: do you need to see out of the window?

Of course it adds depth, but there are tons of examples of just blowing out the windows, covering them with drapes/curtains, the windows are so dirty you can't see any details, etc etc etc. Deakins did it on Bladerunner (link, you'll have to log in to view) and it looked great.

What are everyone's personal reasons for/against this?

Of course, it depends on the look/style of the film.

• Premium Member

I mean, there are times when you have to shoot night for day on location, so the only thing you can do is cover the windows with 1000H tracing paper and blast them with backlight. Otherwise, I'd usually prefer to see at least a hint of texture outside or in the sheers, even if it is very overexposed.

31134589176_eb5d530c9c_c.jpg

49206971081_1eae88c41f_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/29/2020 at 10:03 PM, Giray Izcan said:

I would say just increase the ambience by bouncing a light to flatten out the contrast without making it completely flat. This is the easiest and the safest way in my opinion. Determine a contrast ratio for example ext being 1 stop over and int. Being 2 stops under so this way you can retain information on the outside and have a nice contrast inside without losing details etc. Then again, this depends on the general brightness of a room. All white walls and light colored furniture versus dark wood interior with darker toned furniture. In that case, I would be a bit more mindful of how much underexposure you want for your general ambience to hold detail in set pieces etc. Ot is all subjective regardless though. 

Subjective, agreed. You can either chop the outside light or balance up to it. With this it becomes which approach you prefer.

My subjective problem with increasing interior light is it requires lots of HMI fixtures, especially when bouncing. You need room on the floor for those fixtures which then need to be jokeyed for new setups. So it takes more time, money, and grip power. Also practical wattage will need to be increased or recreated with set fixtures if that is needed for any reason.

And if you need to adjust light placement, that's more time chewed to address it. Say if the bounce shows in the windows or floor direction changed and you need a wider shot.

You could mount fixtures on the walls and ceiling etc to save the floor space too. Something to keep in mind. Single bulb kino or led mats taped up on ceilings or behind objects, columns work well too. 

Edited by Giray Izcan