"Lens Height" dependent on camera and rail system?

• Premium Member

Hello,

I have a temporary solution for a shoot.. I was able to mount the C200 to a red rail system.. Odd right? But are different rail systems made for different cameras to get the lens to the standard height that will accept a mattebox? My fear is that the c200 is not hte right height to accept a mattebox correctly. I don't have a box to test right at the moment, nevertheless I think good knowledge to know.

Thanks for the help - Usually I stick to building light systems and not cameras :)zsO9R5g.jpg

As I'm sure you know, matteboxes come in two flavors: clamp on and rod based.

If you're using a clamp on mattebox, then you only need to make sure there's enough space between the rods and lens.

If you're using a rod based mattebox, then make sure you use one whose height can be adjusted. (Most can)

Joseph's chart is definitely the goal, but if you're DIYing it then get as close as you can. Clamp on matteboxes give you the most wiggle room

• Premium Member

Your C200 should be several inches higher to meet the Studio 19mm spec. Since your baseplate was made for a Red camera, it makes sense. 

The problem is that every camera nowadays has a different height from the base to the center of the lens mount. And the screw holes in the camera base will not be tapped in the same place either. So the best thing you can do is to decide which standard you want to conform to, and then buy either a riser plate, or a baseplate made for your particular camera.

• Upvote 1