Shoot 100ft Still Photography Stock on a movie camera

I thought the same as I have been shooting hp5 for stills for almost 30 years. I wouldn't do it because you will encounter issues due to its perforation. Ilford used to make motion picture stock as well with BH perforation. The claw and registration pins would shred the film for sure unless you get the pins and the claws adjusted accordingly maybe.

Edited by Giray Izcan

• Premium Member

The stills stock has ks perfs and different pitch so won't work on pin registered cameras without modifying the camera a lot. Don't know about how it would work in arri2c but I shoot these stocks regularly with my Konvas cameras and they work pretty well with them. So if your camera does not have reg pins and have large enough tolerances the stills stocks should work.

A stills lab would probably not be able to develop the whole 100ft roll but almost all motion picture labs can. You can also develop the 100ft at home if you have suitable tank for it. 

I have some stills bulk film examples shot on Konvas, check my channel (A Lettinen) on youtube

A friend of mine occasionally shoots 100ft rolls of FP4 with his ( non register pin ) Vinten and Newman Sinclair cameras which handle KS perfs perfectly fine ( ... they're larger than BH perfs ).

I prep all of his film by rewinding rolls onto camera reels ( films are supplied on 1" cores ), and arrange processing and scanning by DeJonghe Film Postproduction in Belgium.

John S ?

3 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

The stills stock has ks perfs and different pitch so won't work on pin registered cameras without modifying the camera a lot. Don't know about how it would work in arri2c but I shoot these stocks regularly with my Konvas cameras and they work pretty well with them. So if your camera does not have reg pins and have large enough tolerances the stills stocks should work.

A stills lab would probably not be able to develop the whole 100ft roll but almost all motion picture labs can. You can also develop the 100ft at home if you have suitable tank for it. 

I have some stills bulk film examples shot on Konvas, check my channel (A Lettinen) on youtube

Those Fomapan films you shot looked great, but why is it almost all your footage have so much flicker?

Also, that happened to the rest of the footage, did you shot the entire 100ft I thought it would be a few minutes long at least, depends on the perf of the camera. Do you have a longer video where I can see them?

Edited by Wendy Sanders McDonlad

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Wendy Sanders McDonlad said:

Those Fomapan films you shot looked great, but why is it almost all your footage have so much flicker?

Also, that happened to the rest of the footage, did you shot the entire 100ft I thought it would be a few minutes long at least, depends on the perf of the camera. Do you have a longer video where I can see them?

My diy scanning system is not very good and I am updating it at the moment. Most of the flicker is caused by that. Sometimes there was some inconsistency with the developing as well.

The older rolls are diy developed in the upb1a tank which only handles 15m of 35mm at a time. Later I purchased a Russian copy of the Morse tank which can handle full 100ft loads

• Premium Member

The developing is a real problem if you want to diy develop long rolls. There is practically no DIY tanks at all for longer than 100ft so you need to either bucket develop or send the longer rolls to the lab. Fomapan can be ordered in 50m rolls and factory replied that longer rolls are possible too if you order at least 10 at a time 

• Like 1