A fun day in with a Fujifilm X-T4 and Sirui anamorphic

• Premium Member

In general I would describe it as lockdown-specific production, based on the need to shoot something without, you know, meeting anyone.

This made extensive use of close-up lenses as the Sirui 50mm doesn't focus nearly close enough to do most of this without.

I presumably owe some sort of swear box a donation on the basis of shooting an arty macro of a plant.

• Like 6

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the kind words; I maintain that macro makes everything automatically look good, and slow motion makes everything automatically look good, so if you do both at once you're probably breaking some sort of rule. 

13 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Nice one .. Was that for Fujifilm .. as a promo .. if not I have a friend who works there who would be interested Im sure .. 

It's to support a review. I'd be more than happy to make the contact. Drop me a line by email, if you think it's worthwhile.

24 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Gorgeous color and texture, Phil!

The XT4 is quite nice, isn’t it? Did you shoot in F-Log, or did you use a color profile? 

I thought it had nice colour. There is noticeable moire on certain patterns, but most of the content of that particular piece is natural objects that don't really provoke it. It was shot in log and I imported the appropriate LUTs into both Resolve and the SmallHD 1703.

P

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I maintain that macro makes everything automatically look good, and slow motion makes everything automatically look good, so if you do both at once you're probably breaking some sort of rule.

I mean, if you’re not cheating when it comes to filmmaking then you’re probably not trying hard enough, right? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, Phil Rhodes said:

In general I would describe it as lockdown-specific production, based on the need to shoot something without, you know, meeting anyone.

This made extensive use of close-up lenses as the Sirui 50mm doesn't focus nearly close enough to do most of this without.

I presumably owe some sort of swear box a donation on the basis of shooting an arty macro of a plant.

It looks fantastic!!! 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mark Kenfield said:

Lovely stuff Phil! I dig how smoothly you were able to transition between the different colour movements.

Thanks, it's all in the lens flares. I am a sad, sub-Abrams flashlight-waver.

• 3 months later...

Lovely images. I bought early into the Fuji X system, for stills, back when they were seriously lagging in the mirrorless video market. It's incredible how far they've come, to the point where they've now pretty much cornered the market.

Some of the flares/light leak effects (?) remind me of some experimenting I'd done with "free lensing"; not sure how common a technique it is in a professional setting, but it certainly creates similar interesting effects, while conveniently reducing the minimum focus distance...

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Joel Andersson said:

Love this! I've heard that the stretch is changing throughout the focus distance. Did you notice that at all? Im seriously considering these anamorphic lenses, would be a nice complementary to my FD glass i believe.

Not that I noticed, although I didn't exactly shoot charts.

There is almost inevitably some variability of compression in out-of-focus areas with most anamorphics.

• Premium Member
On 10/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Lo Presti said:

Some of the flares/light leak effects (?) remind me of some experimenting I'd done with "free lensing"; not sure how common a technique it is in a professional setting, but it certainly creates similar interesting effects, while conveniently reducing the minimum focus distance...

Most of it is just me waving a flashlight around just out of frame. I shot some generic lens flares against black and composited them. Lots of compositing and layering in that.

• 1 month later...