Leicina 8 Crystal Sync Update

Aapo Lettinen

23 hours ago, Aapo Lettinen said:

I made some hobby stuff when young and started to repair stuff again and learn more when worked with old cameras so learned the basics when young and continued from there when older. For the past almost 5 years I have used pretty much all my free time on electronics projects (maybe 6 hours a day every day) and at the moment am studying for a engineering degree as well which is of embedded systems and electronics designing as well.

So have been doing this full-time for couple of years sometimes getting money of it and the rest for helping with my studies, probably used close to 10 000 hours on the electronics and programming stuff so far during these couple of years and still learning more. I would rather make movies for living as that is much easier work but there is not much film industry work here anymore due to budget cuts and economic instability etc so trying to get making electronics stuff as main profession if in any way possible... there is tons of electronics and embedded systems work in this city whereas the film industry is pretty non-existent

That's really interesting - I think I will start reading up on electronics this year and try to make some simple projects

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Johnny Liu said:

That's really interesting - I think I will start reading up on electronics this year and try to make some simple projects

It can be fun if keeping it as a hobby and only doing fun stuff every now and then which is relatively fast and simple to complete. For example making simple camera gadgets (ultrasonic distance meter, battery voltage meters, etc) and 3d printing nice housings for them can be very rewarding. Actually I recommend the 3d printing stuff as a hobby instead of electronics if you can choose, it is much funnier to make 3d parts, faster to complete them and much more rewarding

-------

If making super complicated ambitious projects it is a living nightmare to do electronics stuff and not recommended at all, it will eat up all your time and money, your home will be full of unfinished projects and parts pissing everyone else living in there, your social life will suffer a lot (no time, money or energy to have any life outside your projects) and it is not that rewarding to get anything finished, you are just glad the suffering is over and can finally move on to next unfinished task which has waited completion for years.

so the "hardcore approach" is definitely not recommended unless maybe if you plan on leaving film industry completely and only making electronics stuff for living. in that case you may need to use even more time and energy on it as making super ambitious diy stuff is not enough to survive in work environment so you need to double or triple it to get forward

Edited by Aapo Lettinen

On 3/26/2024 at 12:17 AM, Aapo Lettinen said:

It can be fun if keeping it as a hobby and only doing fun stuff every now and then which is relatively fast and simple to complete. For example making simple camera gadgets (ultrasonic distance meter, battery voltage meters, etc) and 3d printing nice housings for them can be very rewarding. Actually I recommend the 3d printing stuff as a hobby instead of electronics if you can choose, it is much funnier to make 3d parts, faster to complete them and much more rewarding

-------

If making super complicated ambitious projects it is a living nightmare to do electronics stuff and not recommended at all, it will eat up all your time and money, your home will be full of unfinished projects and parts pissing everyone else living in there, your social life will suffer a lot (no time, money or energy to have any life outside your projects) and it is not that rewarding to get anything finished, you are just glad the suffering is over and can finally move on to next unfinished task which has waited completion for years.

so the "hardcore approach" is definitely not recommended unless maybe if you plan on leaving film industry completely and only making electronics stuff for living. in that case you may need to use even more time and energy on it as making super ambitious diy stuff is not enough to survive in work environment so you need to double or triple it to get forward

Yeah, I think I will start with some small electronics projects first.  I do some 3D printing currently and you are right - it is pretty rewarding!