China Ball on Boom Pole for Medium tracking shot?

I have a few night exteriors that take place in the woods. For my tracking shots, I was thinking of having a large soft source be kissing the trees in the background, while having my gaffer (low budget indie!) hold a china ball with an LED inside of it on a boom pole to light my actor while I track back with him in a medium shot. This method popped into my head because we don't have the units at our disposal to light 30 yards of this tracking shot. 

Does anyone have any experience with this method?

Hey Eric,

I have a boom pole, china ball with socket  ( no LED globe though)  and a pole harness if you want to borrow it to test out the lighting.

The harness is just one of those parade flag holders that one wears over the shoulder and the pole rest in a pouch at waist level.

best to text me 
323-640-3183

1 hour ago, Ed Conley said:

The harness is just one of those parade flag holders that one wears over the shoulder and the pole rest in a pouch at waist level.

Do you have some pictures? I'd love to see this!

Check out David F. Sandberg's el cheapo rig:

If you used one of those new Lupo Smartpanels you'd have a LOT of light. You could also step it up with one of those COBs plus lanterns from Aputure or Nanlite, but that'd be much bigger and more expensive