Is this a light leak or just from daylight spool?

Hey everyone, 

I wanted to diagnose a problem just to be sure all is good. I’ve always noticed a film burn line going along the soundtrack area of my 16mm film. My assumption is that it’s simply just the film getting flashed because I’m loading my daylight spoils into my bolex in daylight haha, but I just wanted to be sure that it doesn’t seem like anything else is going on here. It doesn’t seem to bleed into my image at all, so it’s not a huge deal. This film burn line seems to run throughout the entire roll. I just wanted to get some professional opinions.

I have included stills from my scans as examples.

thank you in advance!

D21E0E15-C3A3-4C07-927B-A97F32961F65.jpeg

29CF488F-E351-4AFC-85BB-05CC81DD99BC.jpeg

I've had a similar effect with a bent spool.  Before loading film onto daylight spools in the dark,  I always make sure the sides of the spool are parallel, using a piece of 16mm leader held inside as a guide.  But as it looks constant, maybe it's just light-fogging when loading the camera, worse obviously with fast films.

56 minutes ago, Doug Palmer said:

I've had a similar effect with a bent spool.  Before loading film onto daylight spools in the dark,  I always make sure the sides of the spool are parallel, using a piece of 16mm leader held inside as a guide.  But as it looks constant, maybe it's just light-fogging when loading the camera, worse obviously with fast films.

Thanks Doug, So you'd say it isn't a light leak somewhere in the camera then?

That all makes a lot of sense, because I also break down all of my film from 400ft loads in the dark with previously used spools. I also noticed its a bit more prominent on the EXR 200t I shot. 

I'd guess that this comes from some light getting into the daylight spool while loading/unloading or while you were recanning the 400' reels. From my experience, in-camera light leaks aren't this uniform across the whole roll. 

• Site Sponsor
10 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Could this be a problem with the scanner / telecine? It's odd to see the whole frame plus part of the adjacent frames and yet the white corners match the scan area, not the camera frame.

On the LaserGraphis Scan Station (I scanned this with ) in overscan the white area is the gate aperture and you will see it move around as the scanner does realtime machine vision based "pin" registration, it is particular to this scanner.