Kodak Ektar lens

Pavan Deep

I recently got a Kodak 16mm camera and with it came a 25mm Kodak Cine Ektar II lens, at first I didn't think of using this lens as it didn't look great,  but I discovered that he optics are very clean so I  used it and and have been impressed with it as it's incredibly sharp as good as or  perhaps even more than my Switar, my issue is that the focus is quite stiff. Can this be fixed?

Thanks

Pav

• Premium Member

I’d love to bring your lens back to life. My latest Kodak Ciné Ektar was a 102 mm that I could revive. I assume you have the f/1.4 since the f/1.9 has rare-earth glass that brings a tint. The f/1.4 is a seven elements design, about on par with the f/1.5 Cinor.

• Premium Member

Ektar was the name Kodak gave to their top of the line Pro grade lenses.

the tint is some old lenses is often due to Thorium in the glass.  if minor it gives a slight Yellow (usualy) tint to the lens.  sometimes treating the lens (carefully) with UV light can remove the tint.

• Premium Member

oh and the stuff focus, generally means the lubrication has broken down.  someone who knows the tricks has to dismantle the focus and clean out the old lube and put in fresh lubricant, and then reassemble and set the focus..

The yellowing is usually only very slight and you won't see it in the images due to the camera accounting for white balance. Repairing it isn't too hard or expensive. It would probably be well worth the cost, unless the lens is cosmetically ugly. The aluminum barrels of these don't age well as they get pitted and dull gray with age. It is a really good lens though as far as its performance.

Phil Forrest

• 1 year later...

The Cine-Ektar 152mm f/4 is a good, sharp lens but I've found that even after cleaning, it is still prone to flare and lower contrast. Use the hood and keep the sun out of the frame when it's not absolutely intended. It's one of the better built and very light lenses of its focal length out there.

Phil Forrest