Kobold ballast with QuartzColor

Jiř

Hi,

I want to ask, I have the possibility to buy QuartzColor 575w lamps, but they come without a ballast. Luckily, a friend of mine has a few spare Kobold 575w ballasts.  Is it possible to replace the connector on the Kobold ballast  for the Quartzcolor ones, so it would work together or not? I know that Arri ballast are sometimes used with Quartzcolor, so i believe it should work? 

• Premium Member

This is tricky.

Most HMIs have big chunky metal VEAM connectors, but smaller ones, conceivably including your 575, may use smaller ones. Some smaller ballasts have two or three (the leftmost and centre are most common.)

EB57P_Nov-17.jpg

Unfortunately it's not the case that if it fits it'll work. The high voltage ignitor is in the lamp, not in the ballast, and the two must be compatible. Some are, some aren't. You would want to check with the manufacturers of both. There's a good chance it will be, but there's the potential to damage things if not.

575W HMIs may soon become much less expensive, I'd have thought, since 600W LEDs are imminent, so factor that into any purchasing decisions.